Is this switch suitable to use with PC w/ Blue Iris

MythicFrost

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm looking at getting this switch to plug into my system:
Does that look suitable? I don't know anything about switch requirements for cams.

Alternatively there is this one which is close to 3x the price.

More details:

I have an older 2013" iMac (running Windows 10) w/ a quad-core i5 4670~ 3.2GHz CPU, 16GB RAM. I'm wanting to re-use it for a starter cam rig.

I'll be starting out with 4-6 cams (EmpireTech IPC-T5442T-ZE 4MP) which I'll mainly use with substreams. Happy to drop them down to 720p or a lower FPS until I get a better cam rig so I think the CPU will be sufficient.
Eventually, I'll upgrade to 12 or so cams but this will be well down the line.

Appreciate any input / suggestions!

Cheers,
MF

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Great resource here....

DG99

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The TP-Link is unmanaged and Edge switch is managed. The TP-Link will work just fine .

MythicFrost

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Great resource here....
Thanks! I read through a number of pages and checked out the doc.
The TP-Link is unmanaged and Edge switch is managed. The TP-Link will work just fine .
Good to know!

I'm also considering this one as it has 16 ports and is still fanless:

I have a question regarding connecting it up:
  • Does the switch need to connect to both the router and PC directly via Ethernet, or just the router or just the PC?

DG99

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The switch would need to be connected back to your router and the PC plugged into the switch. The best setup would be a dual network adapters in the PC. One for your network and the other for the camera's to isolate from the internet.
Look at the top of the forum and you should reed the WIKI. Some very good info for new users.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a question regarding connecting it up:
  • Does the switch need to connect to both the router and PC directly via Ethernet, or just the router or just the PC?
The most secure means is to isolate all camera traffic to its own network. This will prevent cams from phoning home, as well as clogging up the 'home' network of computers, printers, mobile devices, etc with the video traffic.

If you go with a managed switch, you can isolate the two networks via the VLAN config of the switch. If less layers of configuration is preferred, buy an unmanaged switch, and the cameras will be the only devices connected to it along with one ethernet NIC of your iMac. Best practice is to have a second NIC on the iMac that will connect to your 'home' network. This will allow you to access the live feed and review footage while keeping the two networks separated. It would be best to buy a USB/Firewire ethernet NIC instead of relying on wifi as your second connection to the iMac. Wired connections are faster and are less susceptible to performance issues experienced via wifi

MythicFrost

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the help!

The switch would need to be connected back to your router and the PC plugged into the switch. The best setup would be a dual network adapters in the PC. One for your network and the other for the camera's to isolate from the internet.
Look at the top of the forum and you should reed the WIKI. Some very good info for new users.
Right, so the switch does indeed need to connect directly to the PC running Blue Iris? It isn't enough that both the PC and switch are connected to the router?
The most secure means is to isolate all camera traffic to its own network. This will prevent cams from phoning home, as well as clogging up the 'home' network of computers, printers, mobile devices, etc with the video traffic.

If you go with a managed switch, you can isolate the two networks via the VLAN config of the switch. If less layers of configuration is preferred, buy an unmanaged switch, and the cameras will be the only devices connected to it along with one ethernet NIC of your iMac. Best practice is to have a second NIC on the iMac that will connect to your 'home' network. This will allow you to access the live feed and review footage while keeping the two networks separated. It would be best to buy a USB/Firewire ethernet NIC instead of relying on wifi as your second connection to the iMac. Wired connections are faster and are less susceptible to performance issues experienced via wifi
So my network setup right now is one Edge Router X with two 4-port Managed Netgear switches. My first switch has my WiFi and Ethernet devices connected whereas the second one I intend to use for anything that shouldn't connect to the internet. I will then setup OpenVPN on my Edge so I can connect remotely.

So it should be: ERX > Netgear Switch 2 > Cam Switch > Cams.

Do I still need a second NIC for the iMac?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
While your Edge router probably does have the bandwidth to handle constant video traffic most ISP routers don't. The bottom line is to not run that much traffic through router to keep overall network performance as high as possible. The video only needs to get to the Blue Iris machine.

Mac or PC, if you want to physically isolate your cameras from the internet a second NIC for the camera subnet is the cheapest and easiest way to do it.

MythicFrost

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
While your Edge router probably does have the bandwidth to handle constant video traffic most ISP routers don't. The bottom line is to not run that much traffic through router to keep overall network performance as high as possible. The video only needs to get to the Blue Iris machine.
Right, that makes sense. I'd rather not unnecessary load the router so I'll definitely connect it directly to the PC then.
Mac or PC, if you want to physically isolate your cameras from the internet a second NIC for the camera subnet is the cheapest and easiest way to do it.
I can isolate the cams from the internet by plugging the cam switch into my managed netgear switch which is cut off from the internet and doesn't allow local traffic, right?

EDIT: Would this be suitable to add a second NIC?
Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
If the Netgear switch lets you create a VLAN for the cameras that will work fine.

As far as that Thunderbolt adapter, I'm not an Apple fan or user so I have no real advice other than a card plugged in to the PCI buss is always a better choice IMHO.

MythicFrost

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If the Netgear switch lets you create a VLAN for the cameras that will work fine.
Great. VLAN is setup on the Router and the switches are configured to operate on those VLANs already.
As far as that Thunderbolt adapter, I'm not an Apple fan or user so I have no real advice other than a card plugged in to the PCI buss is always a better choice IMHO.
Ah well that's good because apparently Thunderbolt is just like connecting directly to the PCI-E slot.

MythicFrost

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes, that will work
Thank you!
One reason this switch is fanless is that it does not support POE on the 16 ethernet ports. It will not power cameras. The POE referenced in the specs are for powering the switch itself only.
You're right! Good pickup!! I'll keep looking for another one. If I can't find a 16 port model that powers cams without fans, I'll go for one 8 port model.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Why are you uplinking the 116p to the 305? Can you post a description of the network layout you're envisioning?

FWIW... I've used the 4 port and 8 port version of these un-managed POE+ netgear's. Another related thought... if you have one 16 port switch and encounter a hardware issue, all cams will be affected. Consider installing two 8-port switches instead

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

MythicFrost

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Why are you uplinking the 116p to the 305? Can you post a description of the network layout you're envisioning?

FWIW... I've used the 4 port and 8 port version of these un-managed POE+ netgear's. Another related thought... if you have one 16 port switch and encounter a hardware issue, all cams will be affected. Consider installing two 8-port switches instead
I'm pretty new to setting up a network like this so I'm sure I've messed some things up. Right now, I have the ERX, two GS305E's and my Unifi 6 Lite WAP.

Attached is what I'm thinking for the GS116p/GS308p. I think your idea about splitting it into two 8 port switches is a good idea, although the convenience of having it all-in-one would be nice.

Attachments

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score

Attached is what I'm thinking for the GS116p/GS308p. I think your idea about splitting it into two 8 port switches is a good idea, although the convenience of having it all-in-one would be nice.
Beyond the uplink of the two 308's to each other, and the cams (of course). No need for the 308's to connect to anything other than the BI machine. Consider maintianing a third network/VLAN for your IOT devices.

MythicFrost

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Beyond the uplink of the two 308's to each other, and the cams (of course). No need for the 308's to connect to anything other than the BI machine. Consider maintianing a third network/VLAN for your IOT devices.
Oh right, so it's BI machine -> switches -> cams. Got it! Thanks a lot. Yeah, I think I'll do that sometime in the future.