Is this normal or correctable?

gnuB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I this video from DS-2CD2383G0-I camera normal? Is it possible to correct the jolting/stuttering? Live view and recordings both have it.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
There can be several reasons for that. When I was just getting started with Blue iris, Some of my cams were doing that too. it's been quite awhile since I adjusted for it......but it is correctable.
are you on an NVR or a Blue iris machine?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Could be anything, from maxing out the camera on FPS and bitrate and AI and motion detection and sending emails all at once, to having the camera connected to your router and the router is not capable of passing that bandwidth.

More details on your system layout is needed.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I think before i had learned about substreams being enabled on my BI machine the 2 PTZ's were doing that. both are Hik knock off's i think. ( Jidetech) but when I slowed down the FPS on all the camera's and put more ram in the machine, and added a second hard drive.....system resources were not so bogged down.

gnuB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The issue happens when viewing live and on recordings. I’m using a Camect for storage and AI/intrusion detection, all native camera AI turned off. Cameras are all hard wired using PoE.

Settings:

Exposure: 1/120
Gain: 100

WDR: Auto
Wide Dynamic Level: 30
HLC: Off

White Balance: AWB1

Digital Noise Reduction: Normal
Noise Reduction Level: 50

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That seems normal. Does it do this viewing through the camera GUI?

Does this camera go through a router to get to Camect?

gnuB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That seems normal. Does it do this viewing through the camera GUI?

Does this camera go through a router to get to Camect?
Yes this happens when viewing camera via browser and Hik-connect/GuardingVision app. With regard to your second question, the cameras are wired to PoE switch that is connected to my Eero router and Camect picks up the feed over the network via ONVIF.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
How many cameras do you have?

The box says it supports 24mp max. That's only 3 x 8mp cameras. It's not the correct way to measure bandwidth really, but I guess it keeps it simple: Frequently Asked Questions - camect

That said it does say it degrades the picture quality 1st and it doesn't seem to be doing that. It says:

"Camect is designed to degrade the viewing experience before compromising on recording video. If you frequently see messages saying that your Camect hub is busy, and interactive operations happen slowly, you may be at the limit and should try disabling alert detection on some cameras, or disabling some cameras outright."

Could there be any other bottlenecks in the system if it's not this? You picture looks like too fast a shutter speed but if it's at 1/120 in both camera and Camect (if encoding options allow any change to settings from there), then it looks very much like a data / processing bottleneck to me.

gnuB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How many cameras do you have?

The box says it supports 24mp max. That's only 3 x 8mp cameras. It's not the correct way to measure bandwidth really, but I guess it keeps it simple: Frequently Asked Questions - camect

That said it does say it degrades the picture quality 1st and it doesn't seem to be doing that. It says:

"Camect is designed to degrade the viewing experience before compromising on recording video. If you frequently see messages saying that your Camect hub is busy, and interactive operations happen slowly, you may be at the limit and should try disabling alert detection on some cameras, or disabling some cameras outright."

Could there be any other bottlenecks in the system if it's not this? You picture looks like too fast a shutter speed but if it's at 1/120 in both camera and Camect (if encoding options allow any change to settings from there), then it looks very much like a data / processing bottleneck to me.
Currently I have 3 cameras, 2 8MP cams & a 2MP doorbell camera. There is no way that I know of to adjust encoding on Camect but the camera is set to 1/120. What type of bottleneck could potentially be the issue? I have plenty of bandwidth and the distance from camera to switch isn’t terrible, I’d have to try and measure run as it connects at garage down into crawl space up to network closet in 1st floor.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Shutter speed does not affect bandwidth. Bandwidth is determined by resolution of camera, FPS, and bitrate.

These cameras are not like streaming services - these cameras do not buffer like NetFlix does....pull your internet and the NetFlix will still stream for up to 30 seconds...pull the internet on a camera and you lose the stream IMMEDIATELY...

These cameras are data hogs. A 4k (8MP) camera at 20FPS is about 8GB of data/hour that doesn't buffer like streaming devices or have data pauses like looking up stuff on the net or checking email. A router cannot efficiently process that constant load and if the camera stream takes a tiny pause, then another IoT jumps in and takes over data packets and then when that pauses the camera resumes and thus you get jitter and stuttering.

Other than the issues associated with security aside, your camera connected to a POE switch to the router and your Camect connected to that router means the camera feed is being routed by the router and that causes the issues you are experiencing.

At the very least, you should connect your camera and the Camect to the same switch and then that switch to the router. That should help, but you have other issues as well.

As CCTVcam points out, Camect has a low bandwidth capability and you are basically at that limit. According to the calculator below, at your settings, one 8 MP camera consumes 11.2 Mb/s, so I suspect that is the issue with Camect. You can try lowering the FPS and bitrate and see if that helps. You could also lower the resolution of the camera as well (although that defeats the purpose of an 8MP camera but that is a whole other discussion).

gnuB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Shutter speed does not affect bandwidth. Bandwidth is determined by resolution of camera, FPS, and bitrate.

These cameras are not like streaming services - these cameras do not buffer like NetFlix does....pull your internet and the NetFlix will still stream for up to 30 seconds...pull the internet on a camera and you lose the stream IMMEDIATELY...

These cameras are data hogs. A 4k (8MP) camera at 20FPS is about 8GB of data/hour that doesn't buffer like streaming devices or have data pauses like looking up stuff on the net or checking email. A router cannot efficiently process that constant load and if the camera stream takes a tiny pause, then another IoT jumps in and takes over data packets and then when that pauses the camera resumes and thus you get jitter and stuttering.

Other than the issues associated with security aside, your camera connected to a POE switch to the router and your Camect connected to that router means the camera feed is being routed by the router and that causes the issues you are experiencing.

At the very least, you should connect your camera and the Camect to the same switch and then that switch to the router. That should help, but you have other issues as well.

As CCTVcam points out, Camect has a low bandwidth capability and you are basically at that limit. According to the calculator below, at your settings, one 8 MP camera consumes 11.2 Mb/s, so I suspect that is the issue with Camect. You can try lowering the FPS and bitrate and see if that helps. You could also lower the resolution of the camera as well (although that defeats the purpose of an 8MP camera but that is a whole other discussion).

Technically my topology is:

I’m actually running the two IP cameras at 3072x1728 which is about 11MP in total for Camect + the 2MP for db cam = 13MP from the 24MP Camect can handle (without paid upgrade). Since I am seeing this issue in live camera view from browser (as well as recordings) wouldn’t this imply that it is more likely the camera and nothing to do with Camect box?

Last edited:

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Let’s keep this simple and disconnect all cameras except one.

What are the results?!?

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Technically my topology is:

I’m actually running the two IP cameras at 3072x1728 which is about 11MP in total for Camect + the 2MP for db cam = 13MP from the 24MP Camect can handle (without paid upgrade). Since I am seeing this issue in live camera view from browser (as well as recordings) wouldn’t this imply that it is more likely the camera and nothing to do with Camect box?
Not seeing where the Camtec box is located on that network illustration.

Also, the cameras need to be isolated from the internet with any communication over the internet from the Router via VPN not port fowarding although that's another whole discussion.

One final observation, can the both switches manage the data volume from both the Eero and cameras as both your Eero wifi and cameras are routing to the internet through the same switches. ie do you have enough bandwith through the switches? There's little doubt you Google Fibre can but can the switches?

gnuB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not seeing where the Camtec box is located on that network illustration.

Also, the cameras need to be isolated from the internet with any communication over the internet from the Router via VPN not port fowarding although that's another whole discussion.

One final observation, can the both switches manage the data volume from both the Eero and cameras as both your Eero wifi and cameras are routing to the internet through the same switches. ie do you have enough bandwith through the switches? There's little doubt you Google Fibre can but can the switches?
Camect is connected to Managed switch, the cameras do not physically connect to it per say, they pick up the feeds through ONVIF/WebRTC. Both switches are gigabit.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Did not make a single but of difference.
Does the camera have a Micro SD card inside to provide edge recording? If so what does the video look like?!?

Same / Different?

If the video is smooth at the camera (Micro SD) the problem isn’t the camera. If the video is exactly the same (Stuttering) default the camera to a OEM state. Doing so will give us a baseline as to how it performs while keeping in mind all video should be referenced to the Micro SD card / Live View directly from the camera via web browser.

The vast majority of time I’ve seen this problem is the lack of bandwidth on the network. This is exaggerated by a camera set to the highest settings of FPS, IPS, Bit Rate, VBR vs CBR, Compression etc.

gnuB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Does the camera have a Micro SD card inside to provide edge recording? If so what does the video look like?!?

Same / Different?

If the video is smooth at the camera (Micro SD) the problem isn’t the camera. If the video is exactly the same (Stuttering) default the camera to a OEM state. Doing so will give us a baseline as to how it performs while keeping in mind all video should be referenced to the Micro SD card / Live View directly from the camera via web browser.

The vast majority of time I’ve seen this problem is the lack of bandwidth on the network. This is exaggerated by a camera set to the highest settings of FPS, IPS, Bit Rate, VBR vs CBR, Compression etc.
I am waiting on new microSD cards to come in. After trying only this camera and not seeing any improvement I messed with FPS lowering it down in steps, went down to 15 and it really didn’t make any discernible difference.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
I am waiting on new microSD cards to come in. After trying only this camera and not seeing any improvement I messed with FPS lowering it down in steps, went down to 15 and it really didn’t make any discernible difference.
Once the Micro SD card arrives and you format it so it shows Normal. Review the recorded on board video and see if it also stutters. If the video is smooth at its current settings its not the camera per say. If on the other hand the edge recording displays the same hard reset the camera to factory defaults and see how it performs. Keep in mind a single camera should be connected to limit other factors.

Ideally I would wire the camera all by itself to a switch and router to see how this mini network performs with a single camera.

gnuB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well Amazon was supposed to deliver new microSD cards today but apparently there was an issue so delivery is now next week. On a side note, I was reviewing night footage and there seems to be a lot less stuttering. I’m going to do some testing today and tonight.