Is there a standalone BVR viewer?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, all MP4s play just fine with WMP, with the Photos app, etc. This is why I didn't expect Klite to do anything; the MP4 files play just fine with the Windows player(s) if I play them right form the location they are stored to (which is a NAS share).
There is certainly something wrong, I would email support.

teredactle

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah, seems like it - I sent an email to support as I have basic support.

strathglass

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a Mac and added the following alias which allows me to play BVR files from the terminal command line:

alias vlcbvr='/Applications/VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/VLC --demux h264'

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Note that Blue Iris recently gained the ability to include sub streams and main streams both in the same BVR file, and depending on how that was done it could very well break playback methods like the above.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Do we know what version of BI5 that feature was implemented in?
If one had upgraded to it, is there a way to easily revert just BI5 to an older version?
Yes, it should work to just install the update file from the previous version. Otherwise re-install from your original installer and then install the update on top of that.
If BI5 was can be run under Hyper-V, that would make reverting to a previous image/snapshot easier.
Yes, BI can run in a virtual machine. You just won't get to use hardware acceleration unless you pass through a compatible GPU.

prd0000

n3wb
Reaction score
Sorry to raise this old thread. But is there any solution to this? How to view BVR without installing Blue Iris? Because we would have some problem with cop if they can't view BVR files. That means, they will remove my hardware from the server rack to secure the file AND reader.
And I don't want to waste resources by re-encoding into MP4 files. I am using substream.

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sorry to raise this old thread. But is there any solution to this? How to view BVR without installing Blue Iris? Because we would have some problem with cop if they can't view BVR files. That means, they will remove my hardware from the server rack to secure the file AND reader.
And I don't want to waste resources by re-encoding into MP4 files. I am using substream.
You can export it mp4 for them.

On_Fire

n3wb
Reaction score
VLC can play BVR files.

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Sure it can...
1607577293354.jpeg 1607577766399.jpeg

I setup VLC to open a *.bvr file with a double-click or right-click with this *.reg file:
(edit the path to match your install)
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.bvr]
@="bvrfile"
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\bvrfile\shell\View in VLC\command]
@="C:\\Program Files\\VideoLAN\\VLC\\vlc.exe --demux h264 \"%1\""

Last edited:

Edcfish

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You could always give the cops the Blue Iris installer. They could then install and run it as the Evaluation version to view the BVR files.

Tayschrenn

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Handbrake works.
How?! This is a huge issue for me, as my current system handles the ingest more or less without issues (i3-7100T / 8gb DDR4) but the moment I go to export something, all hell breaks loose. I'd much rather leverage either one of my servers (xeon's w/o iGPU) to sit in the background and convert/change resolution for long term retention or exports) or better yet just as needed use my Desktop (Ryzen-2600) to convert.

I've searched the forums and haven't even found a CLI method (which actually would be ideal so I could setup a 'watch folder' and just copy/paste BVR files into it for auto-exporting) to handle bvr.

FelixDKat

n3wb
Reaction score
How?! This is a huge issue for me, as my current system handles the ingest more or less without issues (i3-7100T / 8gb DDR4) but the moment I go to export something, all hell breaks loose. I'd much rather leverage either one of my servers (xeon's w/o iGPU) to sit in the background and convert/change resolution for long term retention or exports) or better yet just as needed use my Desktop (Ryzen-2600) to convert.

I've searched the forums and haven't even found a CLI method (which actually would be ideal so I could setup a 'watch folder' and just copy/paste BVR files into it for auto-exporting) to handle bvr.
to qualify- Handbrake converts *.brv to *.mp4 on a second system after I downloaded the *.bvr file.