Is there a bullet camera with 25x-30x zoom?

madpuma13

n3wb
Reaction score
I currently have the hfw5241e-z12e and max zoom isnt quite close enough for the best LPR. I can find a few PTZ type cameras with that much zoom but the location of the camera is semi hidden with a bullet type camera, a PTZ would be obvious.

Any recommendations would be appreciated!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Not that we have seen or are way too expensive if they exist and not for less than a PTZ would cost.

What is your distance? Many have been able to stretch the Z12E out to 220 feet with external IR.

Plus keep in mind that 25x-40x zoom is meaningless. It is the focal length that is important. Every camera starts off at a focal point, so a camera that starts at 2.8mm focal length with a 25x zoom is no where near as powerful as a 8mm focal length with a 25x zoom.

madpuma13

n3wb
Reaction score
Totally understand the generic "25x"nomenclature. Looking for a bullet zoomable camera with 120mm focal length or better. The z12 is what, 60mm I think.

It's around 300 ish feet. I could get an exact measurement but it's just barely out of reach for really solid LPR capture everytime. I'm not worried about ir distance as I plan to supplement by have a ir flood light in one of trees to illuminate the area of capture.

I just need a better zoom. Here's a sample from the cameraScreenshot_20220710-132451.png

You can see it's pretty decent but plate minder rarely, if ever, gets a complete plate. Usually only half of it. I feel a better zoom is the fix.

If ptz is the only option what's the going standard camera for a high zoom ptz?

Firefighter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The price of box cameras with interchangeable lenses costs beyond what a PTZ would cost.

( Edit: There are some ip box cameras, and you can get a lens. I'd have to see if 105mm lens is enough or not)

May have to get creative with camouflaging a ptz.

It's been a few yes but we use to have a long range bullet option through a Texas vendor. I'll check. But don't hold your breath.

Since you don't need auto tracking you can get a good ptz, glance at what empire sells

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, many of us wish for more zoom!

The 49225 is the go to @$400 if you buy from @EMPIRETECANDY , but you are wasting the auto track function of the camera!

As you know, at night your image will be all black except for the plate and head and tail light.

Any chance you could move the z12e closer on a tree?

The biggest problem with a PTZ is you can't set focus like you can for the z12e, so you will need to force it into B/W early so that is can get a focus or it will hunt all night.

madpuma13

n3wb
Reaction score
The biggest problem with a PTZ is you can't set focus like you can for the z12e, so you will need to force it into B/W early so that is can get a focus or it will hunt all night.
You can't set the focus?! I was willing to get a ptz and just try to camouflage it some. But if you can't lock the focus, sounds like I'd have problems if I used it for LPR. Can you lock the zoom? Can you turn off auto tracking?

I can't move it closer. No cable access and it would be visible.

madpuma13

n3wb
Reaction score
The price of box cameras with interchangeable lenses costs beyond what a PTZ would cost. May have to get creative with camouflaging a ptz.

It's been a few yes but we use to have a long range bullet option through a Texas vendor. I'll check. But don't hold your breath.

Since you don't need auto tracking you can get a good ptz, glance at what empire sells
Depending on exactly how much higher over a ptz, I might still be willing to pay for a bullet/box camera. It is exposed to the elements. So that plays a factor.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes you can certainly lock the ptz into one location and not track.

Many people use a ptz for LPR here, but you do not have control over the focus like you do a fixed camera - you cannot pull up a slider and number or "lock" the focus like a fixed camera.

So you have to force it into b/w while there is still enough light out so that it has something to focus on. And then it will hold that focus all night.

madpuma13

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes you can certainly lock the ptz into one location and not track.

Many people use a ptz for LPR here, but you do not have control over the focus like you do a fixed camera - you cannot pull up a slider and number or "lock" the focus like a fixed camera.

So you have to force it into b/w while there is still enough light out so that it has something to focus on. And then it will hold that focus all night.
Any advantages to the higher resolution of the 49425? Looks like same size sensor though.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
For LPR absolutely not. And especially at the distance you are shooting for.

Left Coast Geek

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Totally understand the generic "25x"nomenclature. Looking for a bullet zoomable camera with 120mm focal length or better. The z12 is what, 60mm I think.
even focal length is meaningless without also knowing the imager size. extreme example, but on my 2-1/4 x 2-3/4" film camera (55x70mm), 120mm is just slightly longer than 'normal', while on a 35mm full frame camera (24x36mm), 120mm is a medium long portrait or short telephoto lens, and on an APS-C digital camera (16x22mm), 120mm is a moderate telephoto. on a 1/3" camera (4.8x3.6mm), 120mm would be quite a long telephoto.

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
FYI, you can right-click on a Google Map, and choose "Measure Distance" from the pop-up.