Is there a Blue Iris equivalent for Linux?

kd4e

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It is was $40 for unlimited cameras I would consider it. The $10 per camera is ridiculous...
Where do you see $10, per camera, please? I couldn't find that on their page. Is there a popup when you god to download?

Also, any idea why the label only the Linux Docker version as "Free"?

kd4e

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I HIGHLY suggest looking into Scrypted NVR. It is by far the best Nvr solution I’ve used.
I read through their page some. Are you using a MS version of windows or Linux?

A localized version of Deepstack sounda useful (it's unclear if that may be used with Scrypted) - I avoid anything-google like the plague.

Could it handle 12 cams on a Beelink Mini PC, Mini S12 Pro Intel 12th N100?

Thanks!

CaptainCrunch

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Where do you see $10, per camera, please? I couldn't find that on their page. Is there a popup when you god to download?

Also, any idea why the label only the Linux Docker version as "Free"?

SCRYPTED NVR LICENSE
Billed Annually
View Camera Support Policy
$40
per
year
Includes 4 Cameras
Additional Cameras can be added for $10 each at Checkout.
Free Trial

kd4e

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

SCRYPTED NVR LICENSE
Billed Annually
View Camera Support Policy
$40
per
year
Includes 4 Cameras
Additional Cameras can be added for $10 each at Checkout.
Free Trial
Thanks.

So, that would be $120/yr for 12 cameras.

That's lower than many of the others, though it appears that Bluecherry charges that for a one-time-only 'perpetual' license. (Not sure what happens if the product is discontinued or sold in a year or two. I guess that's a chance one takes.)

CaptainCrunch

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks.

So, that would be $120/yr for 12 cameras.

That's lower than many of the others, though it appears that Bluecherry charges that for a one-time-only 'perpetual' license. (Not sure what happens if the product is discontinued or sold in a year or two. I guess that's a chance one takes.)
If it's discontinued in a year, you break even. If it is discontinued in 2 years, you come out ahead.

But really, neither of those are true. You'll likely come out ahead regardless. If it is discontinued, it will likely lose any support and there will be no new versions but the program should keep running for years.

kd4e

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
A few years ago I tried Bluecherry for a few months but not with any AI. Things were not always quite "polished". I contacted the devs about some issues and even gave them ssh access through my firewall to the Bluecherry VM so they could tinker and test. Seemed like there was always another problem. After a while they stopped replying and tinkering and I lost interest. Scared the hecks out of me when he asked me to allow an IP through my firewall from eastern block europe which is apparently where most of their code writers are.
What did you decide re. Shinobi, Frigate, and others you tested - compared to Bluecherry, please?

mrvelous01

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I dropped the Bluecherry VM, stuck with Blueiris, and went on to break plenty of other stuff on my home network :). I liked the idea of running a linux camera server but I liked paying BI support $49/year even more than the hassle of switching and possibly paying more.

kd4e

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I dropped the Bluecherry VM, stuck with Blueiris, and went on to break plenty of other stuff on my home network :). I liked the idea of running a linux camera server but I liked paying BI support $49/year even more than the hassle of switching and possibly paying more.
OK, cool.
I'm BSD & Linux only.
It can be challenging sometimes - but it keeps the mind active.
(I'm retired. I'm familiar with MS versions of windows but choose not to use anything MS, Google, or Apple.)
Thanks.

W74home

n3wb
Reaction score
I use Xeoma on my Linux box. Works great and Android apps is good too.

kd4e

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I use Xeoma on my Linux box. Works great and Android apps is good too.
I haven't looked at that one before. Cool!

Could it handle 12 cams at 2k on something like this or would this be better ?

I like MX Linux but could use a different distro if necessary.

16 camera Standard features package is $415. with one year of included updates. Ouch!

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I haven't looked at that one before. Cool!

Could it handle 12 cams at 2k on something like this or would this be better ?

I like MX Linux but could use a different distro if necessary.

16 camera Standard features package is $415. with one year of included updates. Ouch!
Be wary of anyone recommending xeoma. They cheat by offering free licenses for positive reviews...
your comparison of two very different pc's indicates you dont know much about hardware. One is a 12th gen nuc and the other is an old 4th gen outdated POS being sold by a crook its street value is 0.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
(I'm retired. I'm familiar with MS versions of windows but choose not to use anything MS, Google, or Apple.)
I totally agree with and support you, and my "avoid" list is longer than this. On the other hand, a decrapped windows install is just a base that BI runs on top of, and if you buy a used PC with a windows license, microsoft isn't making a penny off of you. In the late 70s I couldn't accept that a lot of users thought the IBM PC was a "visicalc box". Now from the other side of the fence, I look at a PC with BI as a "BI box". I too would rather have linux under it. It's one of those it-is-what-it-is situations and you have to consider the entire big picture.

kd4e

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Be wary of anyone recommending xeoma. They cheat by offering free licenses for positive reviews...
your comparison of two very different pc's indicates you dont know much about hardware. One is a 12th gen nuc and the other is an old 4th gen outdated POS being sold by a crook its street value is 0.
I can't comment on that but wondered why there was no "About".

While they do have a Boston, MA address, Crunchbase shows their home as Kaliningrad, Russian Federation.

kd4e

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I totally agree with and support you, and my "avoid" list is longer than this. On the other hand, a decrapped windows install is just a base that BI runs on top of, and if you buy a used PC with a windows license, microsoft isn't making a penny off of you. In the late 70s I couldn't accept that a lot of users thought the IBM PC was a "visicalc box". Now from the other side of the fence, I look at a PC with BI as a "BI box". I too would rather have linux under it. It's one of those it-is-what-it-is situations and you have to consider the entire big picture.
It's not only about money. MS has always been awful on privacy and security and I don't want my home security system dependent on an operating system that they control.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It's not only about money. MS has always been awful on privacy and security and I don't want my home security system dependent on an operating system that they control.
Nonsense, you can completely disable windows from communicating with microsoft...Microsoft doesnt control the OS...

kd4e

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It is was $40 for unlimited cameras I would consider it. The $10 per camera is ridiculous...
What about openHAB?

It's more of a complete home automation and security system but is cross-platform.

It appears to be a bit of a bear to set up - but user-customization can be good.

The Forum is very active and current.

It also supports the newer z-wave technology - which is more secure ...

kd4e

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Nonsense, you can completely disable windows from communicating with microsoft...Microsoft doesnt control the OS...
A MS loaded PC with no updates from MS?

OK, but then how do you patch newly discovered security holes?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
A MS loaded PC with no updates from MS?

OK, but then how do you patch newly discovered security holes?
Why would you need to if you are blocking any access to the net. You vpn in to view your cams.