Is there a Blue Iris equivalent for Linux?

Reaction score
do you use SecuritySpy for the Mac? How do you like it?
I've been using SecuritySpy for years. Currently I'm continuously recording from 21 cameras on a 2019 i9 iMac, with video being saved on 12 TB of WD Purple hard drives in a Thunderbolt 3 enclosure. The maximum CPU usage for all the cameras combined runs between 6% and 10%. I do a lot of other work on that same iMac and never notice any issues.

SecuritySpy is pricey compare to Blue Iris, but I've found it to be very solid and reliable, receiving regular updates from its author. It interfaces very nicely with an iOS app that sends alerts and images to my Apple Watch. II wouldn't hesitate to recommend SecuritySpy to anyone who prefers the Mac ecosystem and doesn't mind paying the higher costs. As always, YMMV.

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
I've been using SecuritySpy for years. Currently I'm continuously recording from 21 cameras on a 2019 i9 iMac, with video being saved on 12 TB of WD Purple hard drives in a Thunderbolt 3 enclosure. The maximum CPU usage for all the cameras combined runs between 6% and 10%. I do a lot of other work on that same iMac and never notice any issues.

SecuritySpy is pricey compare to Blue Iris, but I've found it to be very solid and reliable, receiving regular updates from its author. It interfaces very nicely with an iOS app that sends alerts and images to my Apple Watch. II wouldn't hesitate to recommend SecuritySpy to anyone who prefers the Mac ecosystem and doesn't mind paying the higher costs. As always, YMMV.
How fast are the push notifications.? Can u get a gif preview or just still image as a notification.?

How much is ss. Is it pay per camera?

I remember downloading the trial years ago but for some reason I couldn't get it to work.. Or there was something else that I didn't like about it.

Reaction score
How fast are the push notifications.? Can u get a gif preview or just still image as a notification.?

How much is ss. Is it pay per camera?

I remember downloading the trial years ago but for some reason I couldn't get it to work.. Or there was something else that I didn't like about it.
I receive push notifications very quickly, typically within a few seconds of the event. I receive a still image on my watch and iPhone as part of the notification.

Pricing is not strictly "per camera", but you do pay more at higher tiers as you add more cameras. You can see full pricing details at www.bensoftware.com. You can also try out a free preview.

I like SecuritySpy, but it is more expensive compared to other solutions, and you need a fairly modern Mac to get the best performance.

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
I receive push notifications very quickly, typically within a few seconds of the event. I receive a still image on my watch and iPhone as part of the notification.

Pricing is not strictly "per camera", but you do pay more at higher tiers as you add more cameras. You can see full pricing details at www.bensoftware.com. You can also try out a free preview.

I like SecuritySpy, but it is more expensive compared to other solutions, and you need a fairly modern Mac to get the best performance.
I have been reading up on this, and looks like a nice piece of software. Also looks like Ben is truly helpful in the forums etc.

I have an older i7 Imac with 16 gigs of ram, which should be good for my 2 cameras. How well does the AI work. Do you feel this works better than others? Can you set up line crossing events, etc?

Reaction score
I have been reading up on this, and looks like a nice piece of software. Also looks like Ben is truly helpful in the forums etc.

I have an older i7 Imac with 16 gigs of ram, which should be good for my 2 cameras. How well does the AI work. Do you feel this works better than others? Can you set up line crossing events, etc?
I use the AI for human figure identification on several of my cameras, and it works reasonably well, but occasionally has some false positives. It will sometimes mistake my dogs for humans, or trigger on moving shadows cast by sunlight. What matters to me is that it has no missed positives. What I do on a couple of cameras is schedule the AI to run at night, then set them to record still images of human figures. If I then (for example) see images of a stranger standing next to my car the next morning, then I check my video to see what was going on.

jsdoc

n3wb
Reaction score
Just wanted to contribute a pragmatic solution, many I've noticed seem to be on a somewhat utopian chase for a nice concise PVR-sized power sipping appliance like set and forget setup with X featureset sans proprietary lockin or pricing, but I notice most seem to of course frequently compare back to Blue Iris as reference. Meaning VM or separate Windows box... But there's no reason said window box can't also be "just an appliance". Sorry, I fawned and droned on below, so here's the punchline - a perfect ubiquitous appliance like choice that just won't fail / just won't die: HP Compaq Elite 8300 PC Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support (sourced dirt cheap on ebay etc.).

My time is worth more than zero re: tradeoffs and time consumption of an underdeveloped FOSS solution or custom building a PC (the more tiny you go usually the more custom and pricey it gets, paradoxically), so after google foo and too much forum sweat equity, I turned to the thought of repurposing an "appliance PC". So landed on the ubiquitious tiny and rather indestructible HP8300 USFF (ultra slim form factor) about the size of 2 mac mini's stacked -- PVR appliance size box / low power use / silent and set and forget boxes all checked. Just new enough to be UEFI bios, and HP proprietary but in a good way (ridiculously simple). Onboard hardware components almost exclusively intel (hence ubiquitously compatible). Comes with WIndows activation key if like me it's easier just to choose path of least resistance, buy the BI license, install Win10 with autoupdate or no-update air gapped option (which makes Windows suddenly appealing) and never look back -- and by the way is completely honey badger for OS, to include being super easy to config as Hackintosh and happily run any distro of linux you want, I've played with dozens on it. A screwdriver and about 90 seconds and you can dissasemble it completely and no part (including MB or the Ivybridge CPU / DDR3 SODIMM RAM) is >$20 to acquire or replace. Has onboard mini PCI slot (WiFi card) and an mSATA slot, perfect for OS drive and 2.5" drive caddy that's for whatever reason big (tall) enough to accommodate a shucked "giant" spinning 2.5" drive that's basically a double height 2.5" drive, IE the 4 or 5 TB sized ones (that are very cheap now). Even includes DVD-R, and it's kind of handy anymore to have a machine around that actually has one for that once a year situation where burning to DVD (or loading from one) is helpful. USB3 ports in the back, and just new enough to have HD4000 i-GPU with quicksync.

<$100 on ebay with decent amount of RAM usually with i5 / i7 (3440 or 3770) or can buy by the pallet load, square/industrial metal box so works as monitor stand, can stand on edge, or has VESA mounts to mount to back of monitor and disappear. Even the bios is simple and easy (and somewhat recently updated even!). These were ubiquitous enterprise grade machines in medical exam rooms, Wal Mart cashiers, etc. 10+ years ago, meant for chronic abuse. Indestructible pretty much (external overbuilt power brick). Can pick your poison i3-i7 and pretty much <30 watts, slient, set and forget. And with the i7, enough horsepower to even still do most of the AI mentioned on this thread. OS fanboy Snobbery proof solution too lol. The powerbricks are massively overbuilt because they actually had the ridiculously inefficient option of a 75 watt GPU add in daughtercard that was kind of worthless, so rapidly phased out but the design remained and endured. HP Compaq Elite 8300 PC Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support Do not "settle" for any of the earlier models (8200 or 8000 etc.) even tho they look identical. Caution: high risk of this becoming a collector type obsession as my 3foot tall stack of these devices will attest. They're just so damn handy and well designed lol, and they "just vanish" once deployed and keep chugging.

Ask yourself "what if someone like HP (back when they mattered/tried) set off to truly make something bulletproof and touch-me-not so clients could mass deploy fleets of them by the gazilions, and that's what this is. Makes me wonder if DOD or someone like that might have actually had a hand in the original specs. I could absolutely see a Pentagon or many other govt buildings with these sitting under a monitor at every workstation, built to last 20 years, off lease in 3, removed from service and packed on a pallet to sit in a warehouse somewhere, rinse repeat.......

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
@jsdoc

LOL. Yes, ever since sub stream support was added to Blue Iris, I think little machines like that make great little "appliances" to run it. They aren't available at prices like that in every country of the world, but where they are available, they are a great deal.

You can't hardly put together a raspberry pi system for that price, by the time you have added the case, the memory card, the HDMI cables, and these machines will run circles around a raspberry pi as long as you don't things like GPIO pins.

DesertRat

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
This is off topic, but I thought someone in this thread might have an answer for me.

My daily driver is an HP EliteDesk 800 G2 SFF, and I am trying to try out Linux Mint from a USB stick. But I can't figure out how to get access to the BIOS to change the boot sequence. I've tried to get in while on the Windows desktop and also by using F10, F11, and esc. Nothing I tried gets me into the Bios. I know I must be doing something dumb but I can't figure out what. Any help would be appreciated.

DesertRat

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
This is off topic, but I thought someone in this thread might have an answer for me.

My daily driver is an HP EliteDesk 800 G2 SFF, and I am trying to try out Linux Mint from a USB stick. But I can't figure out how to get access to the BIOS to change the boot sequence. I've tried to get in while on the Windows desktop and also by using F10, F11, and esc. Nothing I tried gets me into the Bios. I know I must be doing something dumb but I can't figure out what. Any help would be appreciated.

DesertRat

jsdoc

n3wb
Reaction score
It may be tricky as those models have the HP SureStart and several tamper proof options that tries to thwart such bypasses for security reasons - the minute power is applied to the board it looks for the bootblock and becomes active. on the 8300, you can hit escape repeatedly and get to the device menu which includes a boot order choice (or bios setup as one option), or as above F10 is supposed to get you direct into UEFI setup. There's some sort of feature from hitting F2 also, but think that might just be memory testing etc. Computer Setup (F10) Utility; Computer Setup (F10) Utilities; Using Computer Setup (F10) Utilities - HP EliteDesk 800 G2 SFF Maintenance And Service Manual [Page 75] | ManualsLib.

Once successful getting into setup screens first order of business would be to try to disable the boot security features, TPM, get rid of the bios password and all that stuff.

It is certainly tricky if they have it in fast boot mode as you have microseconds to hit the key at just the right instant to do so before it boots, and depending on the bios settings even the password reset jumper can be set to be tamper resistant. Normally You can go thru a procedure to reset the bios password (boot with that jumper off then reboot with it on) and get you the ability to get in and modify, but there's also a bios setting to ignore that bypass option and I think if thats the case you might be hosed - would need HP support I think to be able to get access as it pretty much disables any bios related changes. Password Security And Resetting Cmos; Resetting The Password Jumper - HP EliteDesk 800 G2 Desktop Mini Maintenance And Service Manual [Page 117] | ManualsLib. These are enterprise PCs thus designed for environments like governments, labs, schools, etc.

If thats the case and you're FUBAR I have a stash of 8300 USFFs you might be interested in :)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Simply start hitting esc repeatedly real fast before hitting the power button. Keep doing it as it boots. You will get the menu. Never had an issue.

Left Coast Geek

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I just did some googling and stumbled on Shinobi, which runs on Linux (or Mac or Windows). there is a free community edition, and a more frequently updated licensed version. has anyone tried this?

DesertRat

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Simply start hitting esc repeatedly real fast before hitting the power button. Keep doing it as it boots. You will get the menu. Never had an issue.
Thank you all for the responses. I have previously tried all the above suggestions multiple times, except for jsdoc's suggestion about the password jumpers. His suggestion pertained to the mini, mine is the SFF. I'll have to open up mine and see if it has that jumper. But it doesn't ask for a password???? Again, thanks for this great forum.

DesertRat

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
I have found that sometimes changing which USB port the keyboard is plugged in to makes has made a difference. Consider moving the keyboard to a different usb port, and trying the various keys to reach bios

DesertRat

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have found that sometimes changing which USB port the keyboard is plugged in to makes has made a difference. Consider moving the keyboard to a different usb port, and trying the various keys to reach bios
SpacemanSpiff: Your comment rang a bell in my 83 year old brain. I'm using a wireless keyboard and mouse. I wonder if that causes a problem. I'm off to beg, borrow or steal a USB keyboard and mouse. Later.

DesertRat

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
SpacemanSpiff: Your comment rang a bell in my 83 year old brain. I'm using a wireless keyboard and mouse. I wonder if that causes a problem. I'm off to beg, borrow or steal a USB keyboard and mouse. Later.

DesertRat
Get a wired keyboard, and you'll be at your bios in no time!

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
I just did some googling and stumbled on Shinobi, which runs on Linux (or Mac or Windows). there is a free community edition, and a more frequently updated licensed version. has anyone tried this?
I have tried Shinobi a couple of times, but never really had any luck with it. Also, you have to manually uninstall it when you get fed up with it. (personal mileage may vary)

Left Coast Geek

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I wonder what the NVR vendors use as their basis, surely they don't all write their own from scratch. I am assuming that the majority of the NVRs are linux based