Is the new BlueIris 4 worth the upgrade at this moment?

Zxel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hmm, I'm not having any crashes other than last night when I realized my recycle bin was full of tons of stuff I wasn't aware of (my fault), so my C: (alerts, new) was full and BI had write errors. BI doesn't do well when it's trying to write to a drive that's full. Other than that, according to my logs, no other "Restarted after unexpected shutdown" notes in the log since 1/16/2015.
Yup, nothing new with that - see this post. :cool:

fbnoise

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yup, nothing new with that - see this post. :cool:
I checked that out earlier. My hunch is that my issue is unrelated to that. BI 4 hasn't crashed for me except for the time I mentioned above.

Should note that my Stored folder has grown by 100 GB since I repaired the DB. Got a while to go to get to the 1800 GB max but it's looking good so far. At 700 GB right now and it seemed stuck at 600 for some time.

Zxel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I checked that out earlier. My hunch is that my issue is unrelated to that. BI 4 hasn't crashed for me except for the time I mentioned above.

Should note that my Stored folder has grown by 100 GB since I repaired the DB. Got a while to go to get to the 1800 GB max but it's looking good so far. At 700 GB right now and it seemed stuck at 600 for some time.
Awesome! hope that fixes it for you.

Please let us know if it holds when you hit your max, and if your BI log is clean.

congrats and fingers crossed for you. :cool:

fbnoise

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just a quick update. Repairing the DB ended up fixing my storage issues as Ken suggested.

x0468939

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm also wondering if BI4 is worth the upgrade. I'm running BI3 on a pretty strong PC with a Xeon processor. I have no issues at all with my BI3. I'm just wondering if BI4 has any enhancements that are worth the upgrade cost, given that I have no performance issues with BI3. Any feedback regarding "enhancements" is greatly appreciated.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm also wondering if BI4 is worth the upgrade. I'm running BI3 on a pretty strong PC with a Xeon processor. I have no issues at all with my BI3. I'm just wondering if BI4 has any enhancements that are worth the upgrade cost, given that I have no performance issues with BI3. Any feedback regarding "enhancements" is greatly appreciated.
Welcome to the forum! If this is a primary machine, I would wait a while..this will decrease the chance of any issues...if BI3 is working fine now and you are not having any memory issues, i would recommend using the 32 bit version of bi4 when you do upgrade...it is more stable..
As far as enhancements the only real feature added is the timeline and synchronized multi-camera playback those are great functions if you often review video...that alone is worth the upgrade when the time is right..there will be new functions added like line cross detection...as more features are added you will want to upgrade..the upgrade of 30 bux should be good for a few years of enhancements..quite a bargain...so its a matter of when not if...

x0468939

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you Fenderman! Right now I am only using 2 cameras for my house. I'll just hold off until I see enhancements that I feel I really want.

x0468939

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you Fenderman! Right now I am only using 2 cameras for my house. I'll just hold off until I see enhancements that I feel I really want.

Welcome to the forum! If this is a primary machine, I would wait a while..this will decrease the chance of any issues...if BI3 is working fine now and you are not having any memory issues, i would recommend using the 32 bit version of bi4 when you do upgrade...it is more stable..
As far as enhancements the only real feature added is the timeline and synchronized multi-camera playback those are great functions if you often review video...that alone is worth the upgrade when the time is right..there will be new functions added like line cross detection...as more features are added you will want to upgrade..the upgrade of 30 bux should be good for a few years of enhancements..quite a bargain...so its a matter of when not if...