Is the Hik DS-7608NI-I2/8P a good buy?

GoNz0

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all, very new here and as per usual the newbie has questions.

I have been reading the forums for a while and the only reference I see with this model (DS-7608NI-I2) is a user who is happy with it running 4x4mp cams

Before I throw nearly £300 on one is it a good option for my DS-2CD2342WD-I turret camera.

I plan to buy more DS-2CD2342WD-I's in the following months, probably 4 for now. I know it is a 8 port NVR but I see if you buy a 4 way you are limited on recording hence going for an 8 way.

Unless I am advised otherwise :)

Thanks.

Last edited:

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've got one with 4 x DS-2CD2342WD-I and 1 x Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-Z. It's my first system so I don't have a reference to compare it to. I like the 4k HDMI output as it's connected to a 4k TV.

The original firmware left a bit to be desired (eg. I couldn't select more than 1 cam when playing stored footage) and when I upgraded it I had problems due to the region specific firmware. I'm still working out how to configure it for my purposes and what all the settings do (some could perhaps be labelled a bit clearer.)

There are two fans in it - one in the power supply and one case mounted to blow air over the hard drive. They do make a far bit of background noise, more than I was expecting.

I get excellent pictures during the day from the Hikvision cameras. If vision at night is a priority there are perhaps better options.

GoNz0

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks @triumph202
Noise isn't an issue as I am mid way through boarding the loft after having a new roof so I will be building a server box to house my server, UPS and whatever else I wan't up out the way. The box will make sure it doesn't drop below freezing and allow enough airflow in summer, it will be a warm loft once I put insulating board under the rafters so that should keep the heat extremes at bay!

The main reason I was looking for a dedicated NVR solution was due to the supermicro server struggling with video images as it seems to lack enough grunt to take more than a couple of cameras and be able to cope with a teamviewer session at the same time (it's only a v2 e-1220 chip) but I have yet to try Blue Iris demo as a service to see how that helps.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks @triumph202
Noise isn't an issue as I am mid way through boarding the loft after having a new roof so I will be building a server box to house my server, UPS and whatever else I wan't up out the way. The box will make sure it doesn't drop below freezing and allow enough airflow in summer, it will be a warm loft once I put insulating board under the rafters so that should keep the heat extremes at bay!

The main reason I was looking for a dedicated NVR solution was due to the supermicro server struggling with video images as it seems to lack enough grunt to take more than a couple of cameras and be able to cope with a teamviewer session at the same time (it's only a v2 e-1220 chip) but I have yet to try Blue Iris demo as a service to see how that helps.
The demo does not support direct to disc or hardware acceleration, that is why it's struggling... Though your processor doesn't support acceleration direct to disc will make a huge difference...
Also see the dahua starlight turret thread...

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks @triumph202
It's rated to operate at up to 55 degrees C room temps- so those noisy fans do a good job.

GoNz0

n3wb
Reaction score
Well my server has started to show it's age and as it is a used rack server with redundant PSU's etc anything that breaks will cost a lot. I had started to look into xeon chips with onboard video to support quicksync and the v2's are still £150 for a basic used chip. Then a deal popped up on HUKD today for a lenovo T150 server for £200 after cashback. Lenovo ThinkServer TS150 70LV Xeon E3-1225V5 3.3GHz 16GB RAM 2TB HDD 4U Tower Server - Ebuyer

It has quicksync, it's 3 generations newer and has a years onsite warranty so I expect this will be a hell of a lot better :)

And it won't have to live in the loft!

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It's probably the best way to go, especially if you want to use various different brands of cameras in the future.

GoNz0

n3wb
Reaction score
Back to the drawing board, that server was discontinued so I have been refunded.