Is somebody watching me? How can I find out?

MStan

n3wb
Reaction score
I woke this morning to the sound of my Amcrest PTZ that normally is looking out the window moving around faceing inword and looking at me.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
There are several possible reasons for this.
First the camera may have rebooted and gone back to a designated or default position on reboot... Check your settings and test it yourself by pointing it out the window then power cycling it.
Second, you may have been hacked, did you set up secure remote access or did you simply port forward.

MStan

n3wb
Reaction score
There are several possible reasons for this.
First the camera may have rebooted and gone back to a designated or default position on reboot... Check your settings and test it yourself by pointing it out the window then power cycling it.
Second, you may have been hacked, did you set up secure remote access or did you simply port forward.
It was moving around more like it was being controlled. I use the AmcrestViewPro App and This cam is set up with Blue Iris.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm using the AmcrestViewPro App on my iPhone to View. I'm not sure on the port forwarding setup it may be.
I'm thinking port forward.
Well if you are port forwarding and/or your dont even know how its setup, there is a high probability that someone has access to your camera. There are plenty of threads on how to properly secure your cam.

MStan

n3wb
Reaction score
Well if you are port forwarding and/or your dont even know how its setup, there is a high probability that someone has access to your camera. There are plenty of threads on how to properly secure your cam.
I have a static IP on Eth0 192.168.1. Wired But what I'm seeing is Eth1 Wireless has picked up a IP from my Cable Modem 192.168.0. which I don't use I shut off wireless Eth1 on these Cams or I thought I did.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a static IP on Eth0 192.168.1. Wired But what I'm seeing is Eth1 Wireless has picked up a IP from my Cable Modem 192.168.0. which I don't use I shut off wireless Eth1 on these Cams or I thought I did.
Doesnt matter, if you are port forwarding you are almost guaranteed someone will mess with your camera at some point.

MStan

n3wb
Reaction score
Doesnt matter, if you are port forwarding you are almost guaranteed someone will mess with your camera at some point.
I saw the post and upgraded the firmware on all the Cams awhile back but it looks like I need to do more to secure. Can you link a good cam security thread? Thanks!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I saw the post and upgraded the firmware on all the Cams awhile back but it looks like I need to do more to secure. Can you link a good cam security thread? Thanks!
Firmware upgrade wont help.
This thread is still relevant to understand basic concepts however using tailscale or zerotier as indicated below allow you to avoid all of this. VPN Primer for Noobs
You will want to disable upnp, p2p, bonjor etc on your camera. Disable upnp on your router. This is a must otherwise even if you implement a vpn or use tailscale they will still have remote access to your cam.
Since you are using blue iris, disable port forwarding for blue iris as well and use TAILSCALE or zerotier for remote access. Both of these methods allow you to easily setup secure remote access. Tailscale is the easiest and in my limited experience more reliable than zerotier.

MStan

n3wb
Reaction score
Firmware upgrade wont help.
This thread is still relevant to understand basic concepts however using tailscale or zerotier as indicated below allow you to avoid all of this. VPN Primer for Noobs
You will want to disable upnp, p2p, bonjor etc on your camera. Disable upnp on your router. This is a must otherwise even if you implement a vpn or use tailscale they will still have remote access to your cam.
Since you are using blue iris, disable port forwarding for blue iris as well and use TAILSCALE or zerotier for remote access. Both of these methods allow you to easily setup secure remote access. Tailscale is the easiest and in my limited experience more reliable than zerotier.
Wow, Thank You very much. I'm working on it right now.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am surprised no one has asked if he has reviewed the footage to see what happened.

Have you reviewed the footage to see what happened?
That's a good point.

I though surely he'd look at BI's console either during the actual event or review the clips, if any.....but that's an assumption on my part and I didn't suggest it, figured he'd already done that.

The older I get the more I realize some a lot of folks don't think like I do...:lmao: