Is saving a video clip on the Android BI app possible?

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I know with active x and from the server console it's possible, but is there a way to do that with the app, so it saves the clip on the phone somehow?

ThePeacockRanch

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
When viewing both clips and live views from The Blue Iris mobile app then clicking on record video or still photos button, my Android phone made new images on my phone in the images and videos folders.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Thanks TPR... When I tap the camera icon for a snapshot, I'm immediately prompted for to choose a viewer for the screenshot. That is saved under internal_sd/pictures/blueiris. But, which I click the filmstrip icon to start recording, I don't get any prompts. Instead, I see a red circle 'record' icon that stays until I click it again. It's not triggering the server to record, so I'm inclined to believe it thinks it's saving locally. I have no idea where. It's not in the pictures folder...

Is that a definable destination, or does it default to the same for everyone? If so, where does yours save? Thanks...

ThePeacockRanch

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a videos folder. You can specify to put that data on your external sd card if you have one. What version of android are you using? Use your file manager to look around. It may not save your video to internal memory if you don't have enough free space. The file sizes of the .mp4 are fairly large.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I'll do a search for any mp4 and see what I come up with. Where do you specify the save location on the app? I've scoured it, but must be blind... I have 20+gB free on my internal - so it should have plenty. No videos folder on either internal or external.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Sorry - I guess I misunderstood you. I thought that was something you could define in the app itself. For example, my podcast app (Doggcatcher) will let you define where to save podcasts. I'm running 5.11.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
The only thing I have there (under internal DCIM/Camera) are actual photos/videos that I took with the phone. The snapshots taken from within the BI app does show up under internal/pictures/blueiris - so at least that's different between our two OS/installs. Gonna fire an email to Ken. Thanks for helping.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
No, you did help. Just knowing that it should work tells me I have something I can fix. Now to figure out how... :)

ThePeacockRanch

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Did you resolve this? I should have suggested uninstalling and reinstalling the Android app if you haven't already done that. I'm asking about this because Samsung is rolling out the latest version of Android for the S6 series of phones. I don't want to add another headache to my life if there is a compatibility issue.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Yes, it was a misunderstanding on my part. Ken wrote back and explained how it works. Turns out, the app will directly record (locally) recorded clips - but not live stream. So, if you're watching a recorded clip, and press the filmstrip icon, it will create a 'movies' directory and save the .mp4 file immediately on the phone. But, pressing the filmstrip icon when you're watching live video, only causes the BI server to record the live video on the server. You then have to go back and watch it as a recorded clip, and then press the filmstrip icon to save it locally.

You initially said you could record live video directly to the phone. If that really is the case, then there is something odd about your application - at least according to Ken.

I have confirmed that this does work. As soon as I tried to save a recorded clip, I discovered the /movies/blueiris/XYZ.mp4 folder.

I'm still on 5.11, and running a Note 4. I don't know if/when Sammy will release Marshmallow. I tend to run customized roms anyway (usually de-bloated and improved versions of stock roms) - so I'm not a good candidate on whether the OS is the culprit.

On thing I will say is that the final quality and frame rate of the phone-recorded clips is sub-par with those that are exported from the BI server console, or even the browser-based active-x saved clip process.

Whatever frame rate you see on your phone when your playing video from the BI app is the frame rate with which it will record. Since I never see completely fluid (15fps) frame rates on my phone, the resulting recordings tend to be noticeably more choppy. With the browser/active-x process, the final video is full resolution, 15fps (the camera frame rate).

So in summary, saving a clip via the app works in a pinch, but it's not something I will do as my primary means to archive/share clips.

ThePeacockRanch

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Good. I'm glad it's working for you.
I guess we are still not on the same terminology page. Yes, when I initialize recording from Live View individual cams in the Android app it does record live video to my phone. The .mp4 files are there with the .jpg files. I can also record snippets from the stored alerts on the server, too that also save to the phone.
Strange that your live view is choppy. I can view individual cams and the All Cameras views all the video smoothly and the quality is pretty good.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
When I'm watching live or recorded video on the app, my frame rate is not consistent. Certainly not fluid 15fps. How it plays is how it records.

As for your mp4 and jpgs - are you saying they're in the same directory? Snapshots (jpgs) get saved in the /pictures/ folder - whether from live or recorded clips. Clips get saved in /movies/ but only 'recorded' clips, not live streaming.

That's both what Ken described, and what I'm experiencing. So if you're able to record live directly to your phone, you've got something special.

ThePeacockRanch

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ahhhhhh yes, I do see what you are saying is correct. The live recording does send the command to the server first and then video shows up on the alert list. I have just quadruple checked. I was mistaking video snippets already on my phone taken from Live View for the actual live clips. I have examined these videos more closely now.
When I first saw your post I had never thoroughly tested the recording capabilities and wanted to be super-sure of what was happening. That is not how I thought the remote recording was handing the files. Sorry for the misinformation and Thank You for allowing me figure it out.
That kind of makes me uneasy now.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
No worries. A case of the blind leading the blind, and it actually worked!