Is router necessary in dedicated IP cam LAN?

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It's not clear to me if I run a dedicated LAN for the IP cams and their input to the BI server, and all that is set with static IPs, do I even need a router in that network? Or just switch(es) would be fine?

There would be a 2nd NIC in the BI computer for remote access, NTP, email notifications, etc.

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I installed NetTime, made sure the Windows Time service and Windows automatically update PC time are disabled. Then set the PC time intentionally incorrect by 10 minutes, hit "Update" (or whatever) in NetTime and the PC time changed back to the correct/sync'd time.

Next I changed one of the camera's NTP setting from the server it was pointed at to the IP address of the BI computer camera LAN NIC. Then in the camera settings I manually set the time to be incorrect by ~10 minutes and the time sync interval to 1 minute just to speed up the test. However, much longer time has passed and the camera still reflects the incorrect time/has not refreshed.

What steps have I missed?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I installed NetTime, made sure the Windows Time service and Windows automatically update PC time are disabled. Then set the PC time intentionally incorrect by 10 minutes, hit "Update" (or whatever) in NetTime and the PC time changed back to the correct/sync'd time.

Next I changed one of the camera's NTP setting from the server it was pointed at to the IP address of the BI computer camera LAN NIC. Then in the camera settings I manually set the time to be incorrect by ~10 minutes and the time sync interval to 1 minute just to speed up the test. However, much longer time has passed and the camera still reflects the incorrect time/has not refreshed.

What steps have I missed?
You will need to open incoming port 123 in windows firewall.