Is my network setup ideal?

MicahJames

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I think I figured it out. I think I have to plug my camera POE switches into another router and configure that dhcp server to have different ip addresses than my main one. Once the cameras are mapped on their new IPs I then plug my new NIC port into that new router.
I assume at that point I can reconfigure blue iris tk the new cameras IPs and everything should be more or less good.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think I figured it out. I think I have to plug my camera POE switches into another router and configure that dhcp server to have different ip addresses than my main one. Once the cameras are mapped on their new IPs I then plug my new NIC port into that new router.
I assume at that point I can reconfigure blue iris tk the new cameras IPs and everything should be more or less good.
Generally most people assign their cameras static ip addresses rather than use DHCP. You have to be on the same subnet as a camera in order to talk to it.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You do not need another router.

Assign the 2nd NIC an IP address subnet different than your LAN and then go into each camera and give each one a static IP number.

MicahJames

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You do not need another router.

Assign the 2nd NIC an IP address subnet different than your LAN and then go into each camera and give each one a static IP number.
Oh ok. I just YouTube’d a tutorial on how to assign an ip to the new NIC. I’ll have to try this later thank you. This networking part is new to me

Reaction score
Like @wittaj and @tangent stated, assign static IPs to the cams. I use a spreadsheet to keep all of the different static IPs straight, like the IP of the NIC, the cams, and one of my POE switches that is a managed switch. I do not want to add a new cam and have it step on one of the others. I also keep track of the firmware version number, what POE switch and port it is connected to, and which HDD it is writing to.