Is mobile app purchase necessary for each device accessing Blue Iris PC

Virga

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is it the case that for each mobile device accessing the Blue Iris PC over the web, the mobile app has to be purchased?
Assume the access is using zerotier or similar VPN.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is there a reason the free UI3 isn't sufficient for you?

For most, that is more powerful and better. The only advantage the BI app has is the ability to do two-way talk if your cameras support it and push notifications.

Virga

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks - I had a feeling I had missed something related to remote access.
Didn't know about UI3, will investigate.
I followed the zerotier youtube video from another thread, and (mis)undersood that you have to have the mobile app.
Neither of the above points is important to me, at least so far, so UI3 may be just fine.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That was probably just as an example. Many here use zero tier with UI3.

Virga

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I got UI3 working, and am reporting it here in case this helps somebody else who finds their way here.
For some time I could not browse to the IP address of my BI PC, with the port appended to the IP, as called for by the BI manual.
Seemed like this should just work, but wouldn't, and this alone should have told me this is a LAN issue.
Turns out the PC was not ready to be found on my network, because prior to installing BI, I had done a clean install of Windows and everything was at defaults.
Once I connected the dots, a couple of minutes is all it took.
Now I can browse to BI on my LAN, including from mobile devices.
I still have to test this from outside my LAN, but now with zerotier I should be able to safely connect to BI from outside my LAN.
Note to self: Get BI access operational from other devices within LAN, prior to trying remote access.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
When I first started with BI, I didn't use the app for quite a while because I didn't want to spend the money when the "free" browser option exists. I did eventually buy the app and I am very happy that I did. For accessing BI on a mobile device - especially a phone - I believe paying for the app is totally worth it. Using a web browser certainly feels "clunkier" than using the app. Using the app you also can't browse away from BI by accident and the GUI is designed for touchscreens so it is easier to maneuver around IMHO.

As noted, if you purchase the app from Apple or Android stores and have your "family" set up, you only have to pay for the app once and everyone in the family can use it.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I purchased the app pretty much straight away as there was no way I’d be able to teach my wife how to use ui3, she’d constantly be asking “ but what do I do now?”

As already said for streamlined access to the cams, alerts and clips it’s a no brainer.