Is it possible to unmute audio by default on Hikvision NVR?

th3bloody9

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So I have a Hikvision DS-7608NI-K2 (Firmware Version: V4.32.115) that I'm setting up for an elderly person and I'm trying to make it as foolproof as possible for them to view their cameras on their living room TV.

All the cameras have built in microphones and they will want sound to play (it's actually quite important for their use case). However by default it seems audio is muted for each camera. Clicking the speaker icon unmutes the camera but if I switch to the next camera and unmute that the previous camera is muted again when I switch back! Basically only one camera can be unmuted at a single time. Also when rebooted all are muted.

I understand this makes sense when multiple cameras are displayed at once but primarily it's likely only going to be viewing a single camera on the screen at any one time.

Ideally I want the sound to play by default for every camera. To switch between cameras we are going to be using the Hikvision IR remote so it nice and easy for the person to change cameras from the sofa. This works well and I'm going to open the remote and disable all the buttons apart from the ones that switch cameras so the person can't run into any trouble. Using a mouse is largely out of the question because the person won't feel comfortable using it (severe technophobe) and it will be difficult to use from the sofa anyway.

There doesn't appear to be any way to unmute using the IR remote.

Is it basically impossible to play sound by default on the NVR? The ivms-4500 app plays sound by default. Even with a mouse it's annoying having to unmute each time you change channel/camera. I'm pretty sure I never ran into this problem on a dahua NVR I previously setup. I went with Hikvision in this scenario primarily because of the IR remote support.