Is it possible to send snapshot via email on a schedule?

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I think I'm close, but I haven't gotten there. I want to take a snapshot an email it at a fixed time of day. Alert seems to be the way to do it, but can an alert be triggered by schedule rather than motion?

anotherone

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm not sure this would work, but you could use a scheduled python app to cause blue iris to trigger at the same time every day.
Here's a couple of examples of python scripts that will accomplish triggering a camera. The second one at github has a simple command line interface that could be just added to a cmd script.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
After giving up and working on unrelated things, the fix came to me... Using the schedule tab under the camera, I created an event. I initially picked snapshot, but should have picked "trigger". Then under the alert tab, create a new "on alert" function that sends email - but only with external trigger (uncheck everything else, including motion). Then when the scheduled time arrives, the scheduled trigger fires that "on alert" function to send a single picture via email. Works perfect.

I appreciate the python routine, and ultimately, if this hadn't worked, I may have been forced to attempt that. As it is, I'm glad to keep it within BI.

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
Curious was the requirement to just trigger the camera once per day?

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Curious was the requirement to just trigger the camera once per day?
Multiple times per day, actually. I have a camera aimed at a pool edge to verify water level remotely at a vacation home. Owner wants to know what water level is throughout the day. I've added a trigger with the event scheduler every 3 hours.

Combined with area of interest (AOI) it's just a small area that gets sent.

BKG

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All, I am looking for the similar option but my required timing is monthly. So the scope is the following:
  • cam 1 to take a snapshot once per month
    • snapshot to be emailed
I can mange the action but only within 24hrs. Is there an option to attach calendar within BI?

Thanks.

BKG

n3wb
Reaction score
You could use the above python script to trigger the cam mentioned by @anotherone, and combine it with what @erkme73 mentioned. Then set up a task using Task Scheduler (known as a cron job in Linux/UNIX :)) and have the python script run once a month.... Check out the how to:

Thanks, I was hoping for something less intense ☺ like maybe a built-in option I didn't know of. I am familiar with Cron and python but will fiddle around with other options.

BKG

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All, after the detailed look at various options I have discovered that the 'GLOBAL SCHEDULE' in setings has an option of 'EXECUTE ACTION SET EACH' where one can specify the number of minutes for the interval to repeat. I then created an action withthe 'DO' command - 'TRIGGER' and camera '#'. I then went to the desired camera settings 'TRIGGER' tab -> 'IMMIDIATE ACTIONS tab and set the action of sending the email with attached image. I then tested these settings withthe 5 min interval and they worked as desired. Now the cool part. I looked up how many minutes are in the month and the number is - 43,200 minutes in the 30-day month. I went to 'GLOBAL SCHEDULE' and pluged in 43200 in the 'EXECUTE ACTION SET EACH' minute window and saved. The system accepted the values without error. I am now testing this with 28 hr period - 1680 minute to make sure it works and if it does work with 28hr period I am pretty sure it will do with 43,200 minutes one. I will update mi findings tomorrow.

If everything tests well this is an easier way to achive a set interval email notification with the camera image without additional scripts involved. I have a very specific case use for which this setup will work best.

Cheers!

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks, BKG! If the need is to trigger an event once a month then if BI closes and reopens or gets an update then the setting would start a countdown from 0 minutes, I am wondering?

BKG

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks, BKG! If the need is to trigger an event once a month then if BI closes and reopens or gets an update then the setting would start a countdown from 0 minutes, I am wondering?
@DLONG2, you are correct! But again it depends if what you are after is - MISSION CRITICAL. In my very specific use case a MONTHLY email is not critical in terms of shifting. Also, if I upgrade the BI or detect the server reboot I make the addjustment. Not as convenient I agree.