Is it possible to power a camera directly from a junction box, not a plug?

bstreiss

n3wb
Reaction score
Semi-new to the world of IP cameras but already bumping up an issue. I have several locations around my house where I'd like to install a wifi camera but don't want the hassle of using batteries. Running cable for POE is next to impossible - don't get me started. :)
I have exterior junction boxes with power to them where I'd like to mount the camera. It seems awkward to install a plug with a weatherproof cover, then a second j-box for the camera.

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes, the power wire for the camera will have two wires, hot and neutral. Cut the plug off, strip the wire, and wire direct into the closest box.

Edit: I'm talking about cutting off the 120v plug end, not the 3.5mm (or whatever size it is) low voltage end. If you do that, you deserve to burn your house down.

Last edited:

bstreiss

n3wb
Reaction score
Good to know that there are some that come without the bulky transformer build into the plug. Maybe it's bad luck on my part, but both the ones I've purchased have bulking transformers. Any recommendations for brands that tend to have a simple plug (US style)?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Good to know that there are some that come without the bulky transformer build into the plug. Maybe it's bad luck on my part, but both the ones I've purchased have bulking transformers. Any recommendations for brands that tend to have a simple plug (US style)?
Dont wire direct to 120 unless you want to start a fire and fry your camera. Do yourself a HUGE favor and pay someone to run ethernet cable in the wall.

Reaction score
I'm not aware of any cameras that will take a direct 120v feed. Honestly, you're probably better off installing an electrical outlet and using a powerline adapter instead of WiFi.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Semi-new to the world of IP cameras but already bumping up an issue. I have several locations around my house where I'd like to install a wifi camera but don't want the hassle of using batteries. Running cable for POE is next to impossible - don't get me started. :)
I have exterior junction boxes with power to them where I'd like to mount the camera. It seems awkward to install a plug with a weatherproof cover, then a second j-box for the camera.
Welcome @bstreiss

Please keep us informed on what solution you end up with.

Remember to check out the cliff notes

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I really hope you're joking.......:rolleyes:
He's talking about a wifi cam, which will have a 120v power adapter. That's what I'm talking about :rolleyes:

But it would need to be one with an inline power brick (transformer) and not a wall wart type so you could cut the end off. You'd still need to hide the power brick, none of which should be outside anyways.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
First, Wifi cams aren't worth the time and trouble to install.....if you want a dependable camera system.
Avoid wifi cams.

There are always ways to get Ethernet cable where it is needed, then use POE. Hire an electrician certified in low voltage to run the Ethernet cables. He will know the tricks of the trade.

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
First, Wifi cams aren't worth the time and trouble to install.....if you want a dependable camera system.
Avoid wifi cams.

There are always ways to get Ethernet cable where it is needed, then use POE. Hire an electrician certified in low voltage to run the Ethernet cables. He will know the tricks of the trade.
Agreed. Overall this is the best choice and advice.