Is it just me?

Reaction score
none of them read the WiKi or, apparently, know how to use, or can be bothered with, using the search tool
I was going to say that too, but forgot. My favs are the ones that have bought a kit, like Reolink or something, come on here to ask if it was a good choice. Then when told it was not, argue about it..."Yes but what about...". Or they say they don't know much about cams and then question your recommendations. Or ask you to select a system for them.

I think I am getting old, or jaded. After almost two years here, I can see why some folks give short answers like "read the WIKI" or have little patience with those that argue about cams they know nothing about. I have stopped myself from posting Whiskey Tango Foxtrot type of replies a lot lately.

Leapy

n3wb
Reaction score
I was going to say that too, but forgot. My favs are the ones that have bought a kit, like Reolink or something, come on here to ask if it was a good choice. Then when told it was not, argue about it..."Yes but what about...". Or they say they don't know much about cams and then question your recommendations. Or ask you to select a system for them.

I think I am getting old, or jaded. After almost two years here, I can see why some folks give short answers like "read the WIKI" or have little patience with those that argue about cams they know nothing about. I have stopped myself from posting Whiskey Tango Foxtrot type of replies a lot lately.
New Person here, It's really interesting cause I see many posts from new members like myself also. in my opinion asking if a "kit" is going to be the same quality as a standalone camera without it being in a "kit" in my mind it's an obvious no.

All these kits I have seen are great for less than a week and then problems develop and building your own "system" is one way to promote reliability & make it easier on yourself to diagnose the issues rather than having to communicate with the manufacturer every 5 minutes because they are all "cloud" based, I think every new person to the IP Cam world should read some articles & wikis to get themselves familiarised with what is required & what isn't required before asking questions but that is just me!

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Hopefully @fenderman can shed more light on this. Sounds like the bots found a hide-out spot. :( Or, may be not
The whole world is undergoing New World Order
There is a greater uncertainty throughout the world at this time
More people are ordering online
More people are working from home
More kids are playing on the lawn walking carelessly on the streets
There is now Increased awareness
People are getting bored
The list goes on...

I think every veteran member needs to be put the Wiki (Cliff Notes) link in their signatures

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
The whole Reolink thing is highly suspicious. I feel like someone working for Reolink is making new user accounts. Anything Reolink-related should be removed.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Another newbie type issue is that of cross posting in multiple sub forums.

Used to reply to these threads before but for the sake of my sanity I no longer do. You know, you reply, come back see no reply and think I’m sure I replied to that, didn’t I, maybe it failed to post, but I’m sure I replied ... so you reply, come back and then see that your last reply isn’t your last reply but the one you convinced yourself must have failed

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Better to not even reply to those types of threads

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am the grumpy old guy. Out of the box you will get my standard canned posts. I have a file with about 20+ canned responses. I like the people that ask a question that has been asked a 1000 times before, then complain about the canned response. I will work with people that provide valid questions and provided the data that is asked for. (screen shots).

Every once in a while someone will get "do not be lazy do your homework" response. :)

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I've found myself repeating myself quite a few times across various new users. It gets tiring after some time and the Cliffnotes only go so far for these n00bs

I am the grumpy old guy. Out of the box you will get my standard canned posts. I have a file with about 20+ canned responses. I like the people that ask a question that has been asked a 1000 times before, then complain about the canned response. I will work with people that provide valid questions and provided the data that is asked for. (screen shots).

Every once in a while someone will get "do not be lazy do your homework" response. :)

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This place has always had a large influx of new users for the 3 yrs I've been here....daily.

I like to say, "come for the advice, stay for the arguing". ;)
I no longer reply to those that want to argue, my ignore list is quit long.

Too many I'm sure are trying to do research on their darned cell phone. Pretty hard to do efficiently.
I am now proudly plagiarizing @SouthernYankee s standard newb post. :)

juliand

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Lots of people are picking up new hobbies these days, and staying close to home. Many folks are just realizing what the web can do if you just search and hunt for ideas for that tool or product.
People buy things off the hip, and then make hobbies out of them, therefore the reason they get to this forum and any other hobby fourum after the buy.
I've done it too. There is a forum or 2 around for every hobby in the universe that you can think of.
What you think is not a hobby at first can turn into one.. We here, think about security and cameras at first. Now we think of tweaking and d/l'ing the newest firmware to see if another trick can be found or a slightly better image, buy the latest greatest, and so on. It's all good... and it keeps the economy going...:cool:

Reaction score
I think all new members who sign up should automatically have the wiki and cliff notes and southern yankee's canned response added when they sign up. Or a post that says new members read here before asking any questions. When they click on it it will have @SouthernYankee welcome post as well as wiki link and cliff note link. At least they will have a chance to read it. I know they will still not want to read it because it's to much in their minds. I have not read a new member post, that has not been discussed.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
It can be daunting especially if you’re not IT minded. When I came here I did a lot of reading and did at that time just want a CCTV system installed as my wife wanted it. Most installers had their own kit preference but me being me wanted to see if I could do better. If I hadn’t have come here and done a ton of reading I’d have probably have a 5-6Mb cam system with a DVR with fuzzy night time images.

For me personally it took a lot of reading here, lot of watching videos before I was convinced for example that the 2Mb starlight cams would be better than something that was 5-6Mb.

As they say, we were all newbs at some time, just some more annoying than others

Reaction score

As they say, we were all newbs at some time, just some more annoying than others
I am a Noob all over again. I started in late 2012 with 2 cameras and a computer running Blue Iris 3 (?). I did the most basic simple setup I could and let it go until something broke or quit. Now-- I am changing so many things about my cams and network, and I have to READ a lot and Learn a LOT to make the changes I am making. I will be bringing a PTZ online soon (heat index of 107 today-- not working in that crap!!) and that one piece of equipment is going to be a challenge to integrate-- never had one before. If I wasn't having some fun, there is no way I'd be doing all of this. :rofl: LOL... It's a fun nerdy hobby--- and this forum is such an incredible resource.

Reaction score
I actually did lurk for a good 2 months reading what I could with the Wiki and forum posts from respectable members. Any question I may ask in the forums is usually only after digging through previous forums posts looking for info or opinions. I also do toss up my feeble hardware experience (such as what parts I selected for my Blue Iris server build) and give advice when it comes to running cabling in a house as I would like to give back to the folks who have given out valuable insights and those who have answered questions.
I initially joined due to a friend having her front door busted open and stuff stolen out of the house while she was at work. I started to research home security which led me here (and DSC alarm system and Home Assistant home automation), last spring.