Is anyone using Hik ColorVu cameras in a rural location with not much ambient light?

DEADBEEF

n3wb
Reaction score
Looking to replace some older cameras and add some others to my existing 12 camera setup and these newer Colorvu cameras look like they provide decent nocturnal images. I can't find any example footage where there is no or very little ambient light going on though.

...I'm in a rural area and while some of my camera views are illuminated by solar LED lights and security PIRs some rely 100% on the camera's IR with the only ambient light really being that of the stars & moon.

Is anyone using colorvu cameras in such a setting and would you be able to post a couple of example images of what sort of night-time quality you're getting? Does the framerate suffer and what's blurring like on motion?

Even better if you share a night-time clip with some motion happening (ideally with and without the in-built LED active).

Thanks.

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You're going to need some low level area/ flood lighting for sure. From my experience try and evenly light the area to avoid poor images in shaded areas. The inbuilt lighting may be enough for a localised area.

I've got an 8MP ColorVu turret covering my driveway and use various forms of lighting. In the shadows there can be noise, but my paved driveway sloping down towards the house can wreak havoc when the lights turn on. The brightness of driveway (light grey coloured pavers) causes the camera to change the exposure and I can lose more shadow detail. HLC can be used, but I've found it's a bit limited and there can still be motion blur/ noise in the shadows.

If you're not locked into using Hikvision cameras there's a Dahua camera reviewed in the Dahua section which uses twin 4MP cameras and uses both IR and visible light to give a composite picture. It's impressive.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Here is a thread where someone thought the cameras were magic and could see without light. They found otherwise. I believe his setting wasn't rural either...

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
No one camera type will be suitable for all situations. If you've got reasonable street lighting (or are prepared to add some lighting yourself) then something like the ColorVu can work very well. I've got mine in the front yard. It would be useless in the back yard as I don't have (or want) the visible lighting out there 24/7. So there are IR cameras out back, but I could do with adding additional IR light sources as there are dark areas. Either way it's likely the OP will need to add light sources (IR or visible) to get the coverage wanted.

venturis

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The experiment was to test how the 2CD2347G2 performed against a 2CD2335FWD-I under that same conditions. The 2CD2335FWD-I did a reasonable job under the circumstances and based on the claimed specs, the 2CD2347G2 would perform markedly better.

The two cameras were tested side by side and whist the 2CD2347G2 did provide a colour image, the exposure times need to discern any detail was so ridiculously low that any moving object was simply a smear.

The take away from the test was that Hikvison's claimed performance specs are often grossly exaggerated or phrased by the marketing boys in a way that makes it seem like they will perform much better than it will in practice.

Having supplementary lighting is always a good idea, in spite of the ColorVu branding claims. Better still is having a camera with and IR filter and IR lighting for those situations where supplementary light is needed.

In my case at least, the 2CD2347G2 failed to live up to Hikvision's hype in spite of there being more than adequate levels of lighting to illuminate the subject.

I returned the 2CD2347G2 back to my supplier and put back in place the old 2CD2335FWD-I. Until I see some evidence that the new 2CD2387G2 or other successor comes even close to the claimed performance, Ill be keep my current crop of cameras.

Don't get me wrong, I still use and will continue to use Hikvision cameras. I particularly like my 2CD2386G2-LU cams and hoping that someone will finally post a decent review of the 2CD2387G2 to decide if it's worth the upgrade. Understand that its much the same as a 2CD2087G2 but I'd like to see some real world results for the 2CD2387G2 to decide if it's worth the premium that is being asked by the suppliers.

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The experiment was to test how the 2CD2347G2 performed against a 2CD2335FWD-I under that same conditions.
I'm running the 8MP ColorVu turret DS-2CD2387G2-LU and it replaced a DS-2CD2H35FWD-IZS (which is basically a varifocal version of the 2CD2335FWD-I -still 3MP.) I've got enough lighting that the DS-2CD2H35FWD-IZS would stay in colour. Having done a direct swap, I'm finding I can run an exposure time at least one step faster (than the time used with the DS-2CD2H35FWD-IZS) and still get a better picture. Having the 8MP means I also get significantly more detail. To get that improvement with colour and an 8MP sensor is impressive.

The thing to remember is any camera in that price range is likely to need additional lighting - apart from what comes onboard (unless you're lucky enough to only be covering an area close to the camera.) With the ColorVu, you need to realise that will have to be visible light, plus the built in light projects visible light. The advantage is you see the night footage in colour. Your other option is something that switches to black and white with IR lighting. You'll still likely have to add additional light for it (in the same conditions) be it visible or IR- for increased area coverage.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, if you go down the ColorVu route be prepared to perhaps need to add more visible lighting. And for the camera to have it's LED light on. If you can see the area reasonably using your eyes (e.g. your lucky enough to have street lighting) then the ColorVu should be fine. I'm running mine with the in built lighting off.

As far as Hikvision specs go, I know in the past they used to rate the minimum Lux rating for a camera using a lens aperture that was wider than the lens the cameras came with :rolleyes:. But I think they've stopped doing that.