Is a 10/100 mbit POE+ switch sufficient?

final

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all.

By mistake I bought the TP Link TL-SF1005P (10/100) instead of the TL-SG1005P (10/100/1000) - should I rebuy or is 100mbit per port sufficient for an IP camera?

Thanks

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
100mbit per port sufficient for an IP camera?
For the individual camera ports, 10/100BaseT is OK.
But the uplink port is not gigabit - so the aggregate camera traffic will be flowing through a 100Mbit link.
Given 4 cameras at up to 10Mbps each that should still be OK, just.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
As above I’d make sure the uplink port was a gig, also and this is just me but I’d buy an 8 port or 9 port rather than 5 all of which are going to be used right away. It’s always good to have spare for expansion and for having a port free for testing.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Given the following -

Rule #1 - Cameras multiply like rabbits.
Rule #2 - Cameras are more addictive than drugs.
Rule #3 - You never have enough cameras.

I'd say a 16 port is the base starting level.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Given the following -

Rule #1 - Cameras multiply like rabbits.
Rule #2 - Cameras are more addictive than drugs.
Rule #3 - You never have enough cameras.

I'd say a 16 port is the base starting level.
I have to agree with all three rules stated up above. I have a small system in place but live by the credo.

Better to have and not need. Than to need and not have! This is a really old photo of one of four 42U server racks and the wiring was being tested and cut to length.

There are four isolated networks that run on 10 / 40 GB fibre. Multiple redundant 48 port switches, 48 port POE switches, aggregate switches, 10 GB Firewall, and four levels of independent power systems.

Once the renovation are completed there will be almost 9 miles of wiring or 50K feet of power, Ethernet cable, and optical fibre.

IMG_6177.jpg

final

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@Teken - thats quite a lot of unused ports :cool::D

Honestly, it must take up so much time to supervise such a big system, let alone the amount of data involved. That is - fortunately - way above my time (and monetary) budget. :)

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
@Teken - thats quite a lot of unused ports :cool::D

Honestly, it must take up so much time to supervise such a big system, let alone the amount of data involved. That is - fortunately - way above my time (and monetary) budget. :)
Yes, that was a really old photo during the initial stages of deployment of one of four 42U server racks. This is a photo of the second 42U server rack that were getting labeled and terminated:

Like they say Rome wasn't built in a day and this has been a life long journey for me to say the least. :thumb: