IR light v Higher MP cam

Bubs

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I search for the answer my question before I asked it if I missed it please direct me to it

Popular opinion is 2m cam proved better low light performance (I think this is correct) my questions is I add additional IR lighting can I get the best of both worlds using 4 or 6 MP cam?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I search for the answer my question before I asked it if I missed it please direct me to it

Popular opinion is 2m cam proved better low light performance (I think this is correct) my questions is I add additional IR lighting can I get the best of both worlds using 4 or 6 MP cam?
no

Bubs

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I wanna thank both of you for your Timely responses If it’s not too annoying or too much a newbie question....Why Just trying understand how it all works

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
Check out Gia's write up.... super long... but tells you pretty much everything you need to know....

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I guess if you used enough IR and made the scene as bright as daylight, it’d work? But that’d require an ungodly amount of IR.

And not all 2MP cams are good at night. You specifically need the ones that use Sony STARVIS image sensors, like Dahua Starlights or Hikvision Ultra-Low Light models. As far as I know, they’re the only major manufacturers making cameras with those.

Both manufacturers make higher MP cameras that have Sony STARVIS image sensors, but those cameras don’t perform as well as the 2MP model at night.

As the number of pixels increase, the pixel size decreases. Smaller pixel sizes means less light can be captured in every pixel. Right now, 2MP on a Sony STARVIS image sensor produces a big pixel size which captures the most light, which gives the best low light image quality.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Can't go wrong with Starlight, every application will vary, all depends on placement and what you're trying to achieve in the process :)