IR Hotspot

SkwatzForFood

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Finally got a few of my cameras up. I noticed the one at my back door has a pretty intense IR hotspot. I went in to settings and attempted to manually adjust the IR without much luck in reducing it. Any other things I can try to reduce the hotspot? Camera is a HDW5231.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Finally got a few of my cameras up. I noticed the one at my back door has a pretty intense IR hotspot. I went in to settings and attempted to manually adjust the IR without much luck in reducing it. Any other things I can try to reduce the hotspot? Camera is a HDW5231.

Have you tried enabled WDR? Probably not the best solution but maybe it will even out the picture some?

SkwatzForFood

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Have you tried enabled WDR? Probably not the best solution but maybe it will even out the picture some?
I messed with it some, didn't help much other than brightening some of the area outside the spot a bit.

john-ipvm

Known around here
Reaction score
In general, there is much that can be done with hotspots, especially with varifocal cameras (unless they dynamically adjust IR spread which this model does not). As you mention, you can manually adjust / lower IR, which will reduce the overexposure in the center of the FoV but will make the edges even darker. Or you could zoom in the camera and that would reduce the hotspot, though with the issue that it would narrow the FoV.

This camera has a 50m IR range so I suspect it is designed for longer ranger surveillance than what you are doing.

SquareEyes

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Supplement IR illumination.

Many options out there. Have seen an AE seller offering a Dahua branded illuminators but cursory search of Dahua's international site reveals they are either copies or .cn only models.

Have been working with an OEM developing something suspiciously similar, adjustable intensity and light sensitivity and these are features that you want, especially for LPR.

Hint for Andy.

Steff

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I would try to solve the problem with a diffusor or a (plano-)convex lens, as it is sometimes used in LED flashlights.

Try to put some semi-transparent Scotch tape or lenses on the outlets of the infrared diodes.

Even though zoomed there will be less light on the scene, it may be sufficient, or the cam operates anyway more zoomed out (in lower focal lenght).

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
That camera doesn't happen to have a BLC setting does it? I have a Hikvision on my porch and I was able to improve a hot spot with a BLC setting that it has.