IR Cam

Please enter the name by

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey
Does anyone have experience with modified Webcams into IR only Cams or RTM IR Only Cams?
Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I dont need an IP Can just an "normal" Webcam.
Why shuld i buy an Can with an IR when i dont need or want any?
In your OP you said you want "IR only"...what are you using this camera for? if its for security you are better off with a network camera...yes you can use a webcam, but usb has limited distance as well as other drawbacks..
If you want a normal webcam then just buy a webcam..

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I will use an Application who can read a licanze blade.
Do you intend to place this webcam outside? if so how far from the pc? webcams are a poor choice for license plate capture...for good plate capture you need a really tight shot..

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The range isnt any Problem i use some lense in front.
The only Problem is the Lights are replaced to LED who send no IR Light anymore.
I dont understand, you are going to place a lens in front of the webcam?
What do you mean by ir...webcams dont have IR and they have no IR cut filter so they cannot see IR light.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
When the cam have an ir filter the cant see ir light. so i need an cam who have not an ir filter to see the ir light.thats my idea.
There are youtube videos that show you how to remove an IR filter from webcams...the day video will have poor color.
It simply doesnt make sense to me, how much is this contraption going to cost you? why dont you simply buy an 85 dollar hikvision and call it a night.
How far will this webcam be from your pc?

Please enter the name by

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
There are youtube videos that show you how to remove an IR filter from webcams...
i use such an webcam to play arround.
the day video will have poor color.
you must place an visible light filter in front to see the IR only light.
why dont you simply buy an 85 dollar hikvision and call it a night.
What did you mean with?
How far will this webcam be from your pc?
The range isnt any problem for me.
This time i use an 25m active USB Kable.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What i mean is buy an 85 dollar hikvision camera..why are you messing around trying to make a usb camera work...whats the point?
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2013-Hikvision-Original-infrared-gun-waterproof-network-camera-DS-2CD2032-I-3MP-IR-ip-camera-support/1397052584.html
How are you weatherproofing this.. When you add the cost of the webcam, the active cable, the lens, the time it takes to screw around with this, the fact that your daytime image will look like crap..why even bother..just buy a network camera.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
the sensor are an joke and the led are cute note more...
A joke? do you have webcam that is better? You simply dont know what you are talking about. Not sure what you mean with respect to the led..
Any way, it seems like you already made up your mind..good luck.