IR as light source for overlapping cameras

Nformer

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have an area that needs identification at 30 feet with crisscross overlapping coverage from two angles at night. There is almost no ambient light in this area at night.

Two questions:
  1. Is the distance too great for the identification with 2MP starlight cameras?
  2. How does the IR lighting from two overlapping cameras affect each other. Do both cameras function as a light source in this scenario?

Thanks!

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have an area that needs identification at 30 feet with crisscross overlapping coverage from two angles at night. There is almost no ambient light in this area at night.

Two questions:
  1. Is the distance too great for the identification with 2MP starlight cameras?
  2. How does the IR lighting from two overlapping cameras affect each other. Do both cameras function as a light source in this scenario?

Thanks!
1- It depends on the lens size you intend to use.
2-Yes.

Study this: Cliff Notes.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
A pair of decent 2MP Dahua Starlight with a 2.7-13.5mm vari-focal lens should work fine..

smoothie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-ZE, for example, which you can get from EmpireTechAndy on this site direct from China for something around $170 each would give the following results in your scenario:

Distance: 30 ft
PPF (Pixels Per Foot): 100.6
Width of view at distance: 19.1 ft

This should give you identification at the distance you specified. If they width of coverage is insufficient you may need 2 cameras or more to cover the area you want.

You can use IPVM Camera Calculator V3 to calculate the PPF vs Distance vs FoV etc. It is worth bookmarking