IPVM Releases Phone Version of Calculator

john-ipvm

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who uses and recommends the IPVM calculator!

We have a new version that works on phones - no app install, just we optimized it with a responsive design for phones. Like the 'desktop' version, it is free for up to 4 cameras, with the same functionalities.

If anyone has any feedback or suggestions, please let me know.
View attachment IPVM Calculator.mp4

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
No need for any app? Now that's revolutionary :D

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just a heads up.

So I just went to play around with the new locations for cameras I plan to buy on Andy's Thanksgiving sale and within a few minutes, like literally opened the webpage, typed in address, added camera and I get this pop-up message on my computer and it is dead in the water unless you are a subscriber:

1667583540850.png

john-ipvm

Known around here
Reaction score
We recently added a 1-minute time limit. The idea is that this allows for simple calculations for free. One can also refresh the page and then use it again for another minute again and again, etc. though it will not remember the previous camera(s) layed out, without having an active login ($199 per year plus includes IPVM reporting and education).

For a free and no-time limit alternative, there is the JVSG Lens Calculator (which offers 3D but no Google Maps).

cam26

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
We recently added a 1-minute time limit. The idea is that this allows for simple calculations for free. One can also refresh the page and then use it again for another minute again and again, etc. though it will not remember the previous camera(s) layed out, without having an active login ($199 per year plus includes IPVM reporting and education).

For a free and no-time limit alternative, there is the JVSG Lens Calculator (which offers 3D but no Google Maps).
That explains why I haven’t been able to use it recently. Unfortunately I barely have enough time to mess with the FoV in 1 minute, and certainly don’t use it anywhere near enough to justify a $200 subscription. I appreciate all the time you guys let us use it for free and you don’t owe me anything, but it’s just not useful anymore with the one minute timer (unless I’m missing something).

I’ll give the alternative a try. Thank you for the recommendation.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Fewer people using and linking the calculator means less free advertising for ipvm so it could have the opposite of the intended effect. :)

I kind of expect the change will have no measurable effect on revenue whatsoever though.

john-ipvm

Known around here
Reaction score
Our Calculator usage has soared in the 3 weeks since we implemented this change, up 30%+. We don't know what exactly is driving this as we don't track signups specifically for the Calculator but we presume it's some combination of new signups and existing subscribers being prompted and then logging in to use the Calculator. Either way is good for us as it reinforces to paying users the value of our development.

I understand why this is not good for IPCamTalk users generally and that's why I recommended the JVSG offering as an alternative.

Finally, I will consider somewhat longer free usage times but, so far, this has worked well for us overall.

cam26

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Our Calculator usage has soared in the 3 weeks since we implemented this change, up 30%+. We don't know what exactly is driving this as we don't track signups specifically for the Calculator but we presume it's some combination of new signups and existing subscribers being prompted and then logging in to use the Calculator. Either way is good for us as it reinforces to paying users the value of our development.

I understand why this is not good for IPCamTalk users generally and that's why I recommended the JVSG offering as an alternative.

Finally, I will consider somewhat longer free usage times but, so far, this has worked well for us overall.
I would like to note that , around that time, Andy began his sale and many people were directed to your site, including myself, to do some research before making a purchase. Although I went to the site, it was of no benefit due to the timer and I essentially did not use it despite going to it multiple times (I thought it was an error on my end).

jrbeddow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yeah, I have to agree that a one minute timout is essentially useless. That is simply not enough time to enter all the parameters in most (if not all) cases. It was good while it lasted, but it's hard to see this as a welcome development. The increase in visits is likely due to a bump in the same number of users trying to use the system from different locations/computers/phones.

john-ipvm

Known around here
Reaction score
The increase in visits is likely due to a bump in the same number of users trying to use the system from different locations/computers/phones.
I am referring to an increase in the amount of cameras saved to our system, by logged in users, not about the number of visits. I agree that number of visits or page views may be driven by users refreshing but what we are seeing is more substantial than that.

There are a significant number of users who value our development enough to pay. I respect that others do not and that's why I recommended JVSG.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Of that 30%+ increase in usage, how many of that were existing subscribers that now had to simply log in and how many were new subscribers you picked up in the last 3 weeks that you attribute to this 1-minute change?

john-ipvm

Known around here
Reaction score
@wittaj as I mentioned earlier in this thread, "We don't know what exactly is driving this as we don't track signups specifically for the Calculator but we presume it's some combination of new signups and existing subscribers being prompted and then logging in to use the Calculator." Even if we assume that it was all existing subscribers, given that they had not been logging in, that would have reinforced canceling their subscription since they need not log in to get value out of the Calculator.

While there is some value in advertising or word or mouth free offerings, all businesses need to consider what that value is versus the opportunity cost of forging revenue for actual paying customers. Also, there is the factor that we pay a premium to Google Cloud for using the Google Map API every time someone uses our Calculator. As someone earlier mentioned, one can use Google Maps directly and mark it up themselves if they don't find sufficient value in our Calculator features.

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hey @john-ipvm ,
Good one for you, Hikvision/Dahua have been banned for spying, abuse, etc, but has there been any movement or consideration about the small Chinese brands like Eufy, Reolink, etc being banned?

I think I have messaged you 2 years ago about this.
It perplexes me that US govt bans commercial brands yet home brands that are bound to be spying in mass on citizens are still allowed.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, I have to agree that a one minute timout is essentially useless. That is simply not enough time to enter all the parameters in most (if not all) cases. It was good while it lasted, but it's hard to see this as a welcome development. The increase in visits is likely due to a bump in the same number of users trying to use the system from different locations/computers/phones.
Yeah one minute is nothing. It is not even enough time for a NOOB to evaluate the value of the program to consider subscribing.

By the time you pull up the website, type in your address, you can't even find a camera to put in before it times out. I was able to do a generic one and get a distance shot to the area I wanted and then it timed out.

It was good while it lasted and I understand he is in business to make money and that is usually how things go - free for awhile and then make it a for pay option. I just wanted to let everybody know before they start going to the site to figure out which cameras to buy on Andy's upcoming sale!

raidflex

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This is very disappointing I went to go research a camera purchase and 1 min is literally useless, not sure why even bother limiting it to 1 when you cannot even test the utility in that time frame. The cost is commercial this is not consumer friendly pricing either.

So what is an alternative, try to figure out placement and FOV for new camera purchase at my property ?

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
I understand the reasoning behind IVPM changes, but I am definitely disappointed in the change. 1 min certainly makes the system useless (which is completely in the company's rights to do). Perhaps a longer timer (10min?) or unlimited time, but with only one camera overlay allowed could be a middle ground to meet in......

raidflex

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I understand the reasoning behind IVPM changes, but I am definitely disappointed in the change. 1 min certainly makes the system useless (which is completely in the company's rights to do). Perhaps a longer timer (10min?) or unlimited time, but with only one camera overlay allowed could be a middle ground to meet in......
Yeah there should be some in between time/device limit, or at least have paid options for consumers instead of just commercial licenses. So what is my alternative at this point that offers a simlar google maps experience?

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Instead of a timer, it's too bad they wouldn't consider... limiting the number of cameras that can be placed simultaneously on the map/location at any given time.

If it were a test drive at an auto dealership, you'd get as far as buckling your seatbelt and almost having your seat and mirrors adjusted. "Well? Wasn't that an amazing experience?! Whaddya say we talk some numbers... "

I would be surprised if it was the main incentive for folks becoming a member... even prior to the release of the new & improved version.

john-ipvm

Known around here
Reaction score
Update: we made 2 changes, increased the time limit from 60 seconds to 90 seconds, and made it easier to directly sign up for $199 per year for unlimited Calculator and Info+ access.

For those of you just casually using the Calculator, the extra 30 seconds may help in doing simple calculations.