iPhone App Worth It?

essjay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just looking at the BI iPhone app. Is it worth the purchase price?

I'm guessing I'll need to open ports to the Internet to allow it connect to the server? Not overly keen on that. A VPN perhaps?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Just looking at the BI iPhone app. Is it worth the purchase price?

I'm guessing I'll need to open ports to the Internet to allow it connect to the server? Not overly keen on that. A VPN perhaps?
It's worth every penny..

essjay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
how do you tend to connect with it? Directly to your router or some other security arrangement?

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Def worth it. Use the VPN. You open the VPN first and connect it (less then 3-4 seconds), then open BI and boom you're connected. Fast, more secure then port forwarding and yes it's worth it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

essjay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What happens if your VPN changes IP address - need to manually reconnect? (not sure if PIA ever changes IP addresses but thought I'd ask)

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
PIA is a client, u want to set up a server. Google "OpenVPN server"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

essjay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OK bought it and it's very good I have to say.

Reaction score
I was quite pleased after purchasing and installing the iPhone app in the last week. Fully functional, and a fast app, too. What more could you ask for?

rnatalli

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, the mobile app is worth it. I actually forward the port on my router using a strong password and IP filtering in BI, but using VPN is a more secure option. Just haven't gotten around to doing it.

lusk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It's brilliant and definitely worth it. I just open up the required port on my network and access it.

essjay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Another question. What is the best way to configure two iPhones to access the same cameras on the same BI instance?

Both connect as the same user or create two users, two groups but with each camera added to both groups? Basically my wife wants the app also but I'd like to have the alerts. I'm just thinking if it's the same user on both phones then she could clear the alerts and I wouldn't see them.

essjay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You dont need two groups...just setup two users
Ok cool and assign the same group to each user? So motion alerts are on a user basis and not on a camera/camera group basis?