ipcamtalk newbie

ennywohn

n3wb
Reaction score
hello,

ipcamtalk newbie here. so glad to find this forum.

been using PtZ wifi ip cameras for about a year now & love them. they take great photos of activities of the dogs in our yard & provide security.

been using ip camera in a browser for monitoring on a linux computer.

looking to upgrade to better software & perhaps cameras in the future.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
:welcome:

You'll find that most of us here do not use or trust consumer grade WiFi cameras for a variety of reasons. You will also find that any camera can be made wireless simply with the addition of a dedicated, encrypted, wireless bridge which is far more secure. Anther method is to use a powerline to ethernet adapter but they can be fussy for a few reasons.

One more comment is that if you can get power to a camera you can get an appropriate ethernet cable to that camera and supply both power and data connections, PoE.

ennywohn

n3wb
Reaction score
:welcome:

You'll find that most of us here do not use or trust consumer grade WiFi cameras for a variety of reasons. You will also find that any camera can be made wireless simply with the addition of a dedicated, encrypted, wireless bridge which is far more secure. Anther method is to use a powerline to ethernet adapter but they can be fussy for a few reasons.

One more comment is that if you can get power to a camera you can get an appropriate ethernet cable to that camera and supply both power and data connections, PoE.
thanks. i understand. the browser indicates a non-secure connection.

i use poe to a compound AP that provides wifi to the cameras. the rest are at least 100' distant from the AP, so ethernet is not really possible unless powerline ethernet is used.

this is a simple setup & first attempt that can be modified/improved later.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Like I said, a dedicated, encrypted link will give you tons of bandwidth and very good security at a range of a 100 feet or out to six kilometers or more.

Ubiquity Nano Station Loco M5

TP Link Bridge

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

ennywohn

n3wb
Reaction score
Like I said, a dedicated, encrypted link will give you tons of bandwidth and very good security at a range of a 100 feet or out to six kilometers or more.

Ubiquity Nano Station Loco M5

TP Link Bridge
i didn't use the ubiquity model. it doesn't have much more range than the bargain brand i bought.

do you know how to send commands to turn the IR off at night until motion is detected & then take a photo or photos/video & then turn IR off?

thanks.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I tried a bargain brand and found them lacking and unreliable. If you're happy with whatever you've got, good for you. As with everything, you get what you pay for.

If the IR is off at night how will the camera see anything, let alone motion, so that it can turn on the IR? On top of that you don't specify what make and model of camera.

ennywohn

n3wb
Reaction score
I tried a bargain brand and found them lacking and unreliable. If you're happy with whatever you've got, good for you. As with everything, you get what you pay for.

If the IR is off at night how will the camera see anything, let alone motion, so that it can turn on the IR? On top of that you don't specify what make and model of camera.
no, turn the ir lights off. when the motion detection circuit trips, activate the lights & leave them on for a period of time. this saves power. one of the cameras i have is powered by a diy solar power system.

the cameras are very good, but it would be nice to turn these lights off, as the way game cameras behave.

anran ar-80f. 5mp ptz wifi

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do you have an auxiliary motion detection? If not, how will the camera see anything to trigger motion? The camera has to actually see motion and cannot if there is not enough ambient or IR light.

And then some cameras get a bloom when the light kicks on and you miss the money shot.

Maybe if you are only looking at wildlife you can get away with it, but once you run a shutter speed fast enough to get a good image, I think the image will be too dark for the camera to reliably trigger for motion.

Here is usually what happens when a motion activated light comes on - it just about completely blinds the camera right at the moment of optimal opportunity to get the picture. There are 3 deer in this picture and two of them are lost in the blinded white while the camera's exposure adjusts to the rapid change in available light:

1667862128878.png

ennywohn

n3wb
Reaction score
Do you have an auxiliary motion detection? If not, how will the camera see anything to trigger motion? The camera has to actually see motion and cannot if there is not enough ambient or IR light.

And then some cameras get a bloom when the light kicks on and you miss the money shot.

Maybe if you are only looking at wildlife you can get away with it, but once you run a shutter speed fast enough to get a good image, I think the image will be too dark for the camera to reliably trigger for motion.

Here is usually what happens when a motion activated light comes on - it just about completely blinds the camera right at the moment of optimal opportunity to get the picture. There are 3 deer in this picture and two of them are lost in the blinded white while the camera's exposure adjusts to the rapid change in available light:
ok, so is it possible to make these cameras work like the game cameras do?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Short answer is no - two different functions, features and capabilities.

Game camera has a PIR to sense body heat and thus motion. These cameras do not and thus rely on being able to actually see something moving. Well most of them don't, but you probably can find a few cheap Night Owl and Swanns that do LOL, but people say they don't work right.

ennywohn

n3wb
Reaction score
Short answer is no - two different functions, features and capabilities.

Game camera has a PIR to sense body heat and thus motion. These cameras do not and thus rely on being able to actually see something moving. Well most of them don't, but you probably can find a few cheap Night Owl and Swanns that do LOL, but people say they don't work right.
so then all of these IP cameras will have the led lights on throughout the night, if active?

i didn't realize these were designed differently than the game cameras.

i get good pics here on the property that are downloadable from the SD card or to other storage. this is so much easier than collecting the SD cards from game cameras. and they don't require batteries. win win.

thanks.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is correct, unless you have enough ambient light to run in color.

ennywohn

n3wb
Reaction score
ok. then the camera powered by the solar power system will require another 100w panel to keep the battery charged on the days with reduced sunlight. wow. totally unexpected.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
We get threads all the time looking for solar options...here is the most recent one with the gear needed to actually work LOL. Think the size of a VW bug LOL

ennywohn

n3wb
Reaction score
i read something in a post (not on this forum) from someone that has an sv3c camera, model not specified. he said that he powered his led lights off until motion was detected & then turned them on for a period of time until no motion detected. then back off.

he didn't provide any further info. on this...

maybe bogus?

ennywohn

n3wb
Reaction score
We get threads all the time looking for solar options...here is the most recent one with the gear needed to actually work LOL. Think the size of a VW bug LOL

i bought a 100w 12 volt panel from amazon with a controller & a 24f battery. this works fine as long as the sun is present. after running this setup for 1 month now, it is clear that it will take at least 200w to keep the battery charged long enough to run this camera all night from day to day. need to buy another panel.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe he had an external PIR added to it or it was external IR?

Many models come with extra wires for alarms, inputs, outputs, etc., so you could set something up like that, but then that device would need power as well.

And you don't know at what other parameters he was running at - you could set the camera up with a 1/12 shutter speed and it would see stuff even without the IR, but it will be a motion blur then when there is motion.

ennywohn

n3wb
Reaction score

this anran camera is a generic dahua. its a very good camera that costs only slightly more than a good game camera.