IPCamera on NVR

Reaction score
I am new to the camera installation thing. I just want to explain my setup and issue and see if someone can put me in the right direction. We bought a 16 port UNV NVR with 3 cameras which 2 of them is PTZ cameras. The cameras are remote so it runs through POE and Transmitters and a receiver. The 3 cameras and the NVR was setup by the supplier before they sent it to us. I did a setup with 2 cameras in the Barn and the other camera in a seed cleaning facility which transmit to a house where we have the NVR setup. Everything is working correctly. Here is my issue that I have. We had a extra camera that we added which is also a ONFIV compatible camera. This will be our fourth camera. I added it in the seed cleaning plant through the LAN port of my seed cleaning plant with its own power supply. Before I did it I logged into the camera through the ethernet connection through my computer and set its IP to a suitable IP that would be able to talk to the NVR. When I connect the camera directly to the NVR it picks up and it works but when I take it to the seed cleaning plant and connect it through the POE switch which runs through the transmitter to the house receiver I can not pick it up. I have tried everything but to no avail. Will someone be able to help? I will probably get roasted because I am still new to this. I am going to add pictures of the system labels just for clarification.

Attachments

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I’m not sure I’m following along correctly, but if your NVR has its own PoE ports, those are typically in a different subnet from your LAN.

Guess would be if you set the camera IP to that of the NVR ports, and it’s now connected to various gear going through your LAN, your LAN isn’t seeing it.

Try setting the IP if the camera to that of the NVR not the NVR PoE ports

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If the 16 port NVR is a POE NVR then the cams plugged into it will be on their own private subnet, such as 10.1.1.XXX, while cams plugged into the remote POE switch will likely be on a different subnet, such as 192.168.1.XXX. This remote subnet will also likely be the same as the NVR's LAN.

What are the IP's of the 2 barn cameras that work? Set the new 3rd cam to a unique, static IP in the same subnet as those 2 working cams and you should be able to add it to the NVR.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Jeez, I had to delete 6 posts because the server kept timing out about 11:00 AM CT (server maintenance?), unbeknownst to me I was posting duplicates....:facepalm:
It was more than duplicate :lmao:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It was more than duplicate :lmao:
What I was posting was a "duplicate" of the previous post.

I sent a DM to Mike about it. Happens every Saturday between about 10am and noon CT that IPCT "appears" to be down but I can't see what I posted...hence, "duplicates." It's been this way for me for well over a year now.

Reaction score
I’m not sure I’m following along correctly, but if your NVR has its own PoE ports, those are typically in a different subnet from your LAN.

Guess would be if you set the camera IP to that of the NVR ports, and it’s now connected to various gear going through your LAN, your LAN isn’t seeing it.

Thank you for your reply. I set the IP address for one of the channels of the NVR which is the 172.16.0..... range. To be exact 172.16.0.4. Do you mean that I have to actually see what the IP is for the POE that is connected to my extender transmitter?

Reaction score
If the 16 port NVR is a POE NVR then the cams plugged into it will be on their own private subnet, such as 10.1.1.XXX, while cams plugged into the remote POE switch will likely be on a different subnet, such as 192.168.1.XXX. This remote subnet will also likely be the same as the NVR's LAN.

What are the IP's of the 2 barn cameras that work? Set the new 3rd cam to a unique, static IP in the same subnet as those 2 working cams and you should be able to add it to the NVR.
I will send a screen shot of the setup in the Barn.

Attachments

Reaction score
Thanks Tony. D3 and D4 on the picture that I have sent to you is in the same IP range. D1 works through the POE switch that I have in the seed plant. I added the camera in question D2 to the same POE switch through the LAN connection on the POE injector.

Reaction score
Thanks Tony. D3 and D4 on the picture that I have sent to you is in the same IP range. D1 works through the POE switch that I have in the seed plant. I added the camera in question D2 to the same POE switch through the LAN connection on the POE injector.
Here is the manual as per our supplier. I did not mean to have the name of the company appear because their cameras are working brilliantly. The fact that we want to add another of our own cameras is the issue and it is not there problem to help me solve it.

Attachments

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
yeah Tony and I were saying the same thing.

So if you’re sure 172.16.0 is your NVR PoE port range…and the camera in question terminates into the back of your NVR into one if it’s PoE ports as do the other two?

If so, I would first delete the camera from the interface, set the camera to dhcp, unplug, plug back in and see if the NVR assigns it an IP. It should. Then you could go back to the camera and make that IP static.

Reaction score

Please find attached a picture of my setup. I said before that I have a POE switch. Apologies. It is a POE injector which consists of a POE and LAN connection. The camera that is connected to the transmitter and the POE connection of the POE injector is working correctly and it runs on the NVR under D1. The extra camera with its own power supply was connected to the LAN connection of the POE injector and I am trying to get it to show on D2 on the NVR but no luck. The IP that I put on the camera was 172.16.0.4. Please find a picture of my NVR screen and a screen shot of my manual where the PoE injector is shown that goes through the transmitter. It goes to a receiver which then runs also through a PoE injector that in turns get plugged into D1 plugin port on the NVR.

Attachments

Reaction score
yeah Tony and I were saying the same thing.

So if you’re sure 172.16.0 is your NVR PoE port range…and the camera in question terminates into the back of your NVR into one if it’s PoE ports as do the other two?

If so, I would first delete the camera from the interface, set the camera to dhcp, unplug, plug back in and see if the NVR assigns it an IP. It should. Then you could go back to the camera and make that IP static.
Thank you. I will try that first and then let you know. I tried it ones and it worked when the cam is connected directly to the NVR port. It however becomes a problem when I take the camera to the remote location through the PoE injector and transmitter.

Reaction score
Please find attached a picture of my setup. I said before that I have a POE switch. Apologies. It is a POE injector which consists of a POE and LAN connection. The camera that is connected to the transmitter and the POE connection of the POE injector is working correctly and it runs on the NVR under D1. The extra camera with its own power supply was connected to the LAN connection of the POE injector and I am trying to get it to show on D2 on the NVR but no luck. The IP that I put on the camera was 172.16.0.4. Please find a picture of my NVR screen and a screen shot of my manual where the PoE injector is shown that goes through the transmitter. It goes to a receiver which then runs also through a PoE injector that in turns get plugged into D1 plugin port on the NVR.
I will switch DHCP mode on when connecting it remotely and see if it picks up then switch DHCP off again. It makes sense what you say. I will have to try on Monday when I am back at work. Thanks a million for trying to help. I will let you know on Monday. :)

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
An interesting note:
On Rostech's web site these days ALL of the wireless camera systems are using non-POE NVR's......setup has to be simpler on the NVR's LAN side with wireless radios, cameras, POE switches and POE injectors.

Reaction score

I will send a screen shot of the setup in the Barn.
An interesting note:
On Rostech's web site these days ALL of the wireless camera systems are using non-POE NVR's......setup has to be simpler on the NVR's LAN side with wireless radios, cameras, POE switches and POE injectors.

Reaction score
Yes Tony I checked your links. in our case our NVR have 16 channel POE or I am wrong. Will check in my manual quickly but when I plug one of my IP Cams straight into the NVR without power supply it works which tells me that it is POE. I learned a lot in the last few weeks about IP's and subnets but I still feel confused sometimes. What I want to do in future is add some more cameras so it would be nice for me to atleast be able to order it online and configure it myself. We are very remote and to just get someone to come over to help us with it is costly. I take my hat off to camera guys. If I was a camera tech and have to take phone calls from someone like me. I would be hitting my fist through a wall ha ha ha ha. I tried to get my answer from the Rostech tech but he was eventually like a big question mark because I used the wrong wording. :facepalm:

Reaction score
Oh, it very well could be a POE NVR, I'm not questioning that...just sayin' they've switched to non-POE NVR because it's easier to set up and/or modify in the future, IMO.
[/Q
I understood. Why do you think they would be going more none PoE? Maybe better to work through switches.