IPC-T5442T-ZE vs IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED

hajalie24

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi all,

I bought the T5442TM but assumed I can turn the LED on dynamically such as in motion, but I realize you can't (makes sense since there are no IR sensors)

Therefore I'll probably be using it with the LEDs turned off and external motion sensors.

Given this, should I have gotten the IPC-T5442T-ZE instead? Or does the T5442TM still have advantages even if not using the LED?

Thanks

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Given this, should I have gotten the IPC-T5442T-ZE instead? Or does the T5442TM still have advantages even if not using the LED?
Probably. Not that I can think of beyond price. Trivially better specs @ 0.002@F1.6 vs 0.003 Lux@F1.8 but practically makes no difference and trumped by vari-focus and IR in my book. The ZE still can do color with about the same level of light.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Unless you know you have enough light (like stadium quality light LOL), it is always best to get a camera that has IR capabilities so that you can fall back to that if needed.

The white LED on most of these cameras are piddly and not much brighter than a cellphone flashlight and once you dial in the settings to eliminate blur, you have like a 5 foot ring or so of useful field of view.

hajalie24

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks all, I'm going to return the T5442TM-AS-LED (sorry Andy) and get another T5442T-ZE. The price actually dropped on Amazon for both cameras, to the point where I'm barely paying extra versus what I paid originally for the LED. While I'm at it, I bought 3 more IPC-T5442T-ZE's lol

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks all, I'm going to return the T5442TM-AS-LED (sorry Andy) and get another T5442T-ZE. The price actually dropped on Amazon for both cameras, to the point where I'm barely paying extra versus what I paid originally for the LED. While I'm at it, I bought 3 more IPC-T5442T-ZE's lol
HIs memorial day sale is in progress.

hajalie24

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
HIs memorial day sale is in progress.
Thanks, good to know!

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Shoot, I got 5 camera's sitting in a box still...... 3 from Andy and 2 5231-z12's from a forum member. i best not buy anything until I get something done with these. I bought a 5442 AS-LED 2.8 about a year ago.
and It attracted bugs galore. But i had street lamps x 4 out in the lot, so I was ok. I've experimented with it in the winter with LED's on and it does illuminate the inside of the cars coming into the parking garage. I can roughly tell which resident it is.

Last edited: