IPC- T5442T-ZE image problems

Griswalduk

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi all

I recently purchased 8 varifocals IPC- T5442T-ZE of Andy. There is white orbs present on 2 of these cameras particularly during bright sunlight. I can also see them on 1 of the cameras at night time when it picks up another cameras IR light. I have tried cleaning both camera lens. See attached pictures

I currently have 1 of the cameras felt of view turned and lowered and zoomed to try and mitigate but i suppose i shouldn't have to.

Please excuse picture quality i know there is some reflection / glare from the tv screen itself. Looks to me to be sensor / lens problem.

Any ideas

Griswald

Last edited:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Dude they're fine. that's what happens if you face them in the direction of the sun. they need to be looking down harder or moved over to the fence looking back the other way.
If you are in the Northern Hemisphere it gets worse as the sun rises lower in the sky and wont get back this high again until March.
Same thing will happen with your smart phone.

Last edited:

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
It's called lens flare and can occur anytime a lens is pointed towards a bright light source (like the sun or street light). The camera is not defective or operating outside of it's expected parameters. You have several options available to you....

1) Adjust the placement of the cameras so they don't "look" at the bright light sources.
2) Try to shield the lens from the bright light source using some sort of lens hood
3) Live with the results
4) A combination of all 3 other options

Griswalduk

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi Arjun, Flintstone, Automation

Thanks for the replies

I've no real experience with lens or exposure settings or any sort of camera picture set up and I'm learning as i go. My concern was that the objects are perfectly round orbs and I thought any dirt marks or shadows would be somewhat irregular in nature.

As mentioned I have currently tweaked the angle on 1 camera and zoomed in which mitigates the effect. The other camera i haven't tried tweaking it yet. Has anybody tried the hoods Arjun suggested for this purpose.

Griswald

Last edited:

paul@austins.tv

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm in the south UK and suffer the same sun glare. As others have said: The camera is in not an optimal position.
I understand from the camera view, you wish to monitor your boundary wooden fence and beyond for some reason? Shift the camera to the right of camera view (left if you look at camera from the garden fence position). Then lower down the view so to cover your boundary fence. Unless if you need to spy on the local neighborhood?

Griswalduk

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi all

Is the Camera outside? just askin....
Yes the cameras are placed outside. Excuse the night photo. The cameras are the 2 white glows.

I'm in the south UK and suffer the same sun glare. As others have said: The camera is in not an optimal position.
I understand from the camera view, you wish to monitor your boundary wooden fence and beyond for some reason? Shift the camera to the right of camera view (left if you look at camera from the garden fence position). Then lower down the view so to cover your boundary fence. Unless if you need to spy on the local neighborhood?
First of all excuse the yellow lamp shade reflecting on the tv lol

The photos only show half the picture on the tv. See The other photos here for full views. I had most of the area outside the fence masked off for privacy but disabled it while I was messing about with them today. You can see the current view.

I do quite like the camera extending beyond my boundary a little bit maybe I'm trying to do too much.

The last picture is of another camera facing away from the sun in a cross formation to look at the other 1. This Camera is working fine

Griswald

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
All of these problems are external light reflecting in the lens. Proper placement is the only real solution.
This is why all proposed locations should always be tested prior to permanently mounting. By using a test rig made of 2x4, 5gal bucket and rocks for ballast.
Test and record for a min of 24 hrs or longer to pick up on any problems.
Learn how to properly export pictures directly from the cameras, using a another camera to photograph a picture on a tv sure does not give a clear idea of what's what.
"Don't be that guy", learn NOW how to export directly, before the footage is really needed for a real event.
Proper placement choice and orientation is key to capture success.
In some situations, you can't mitigate all such reflections, you just have to live with it certain times per yr.
I have 3 cams that I have that problem with in Dec, Jan and Feb.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Try loosening the screw and adjusting the camera during that time to see if the image improves; there could be a nearby object interfering with the image