IPC-HFW5541E-Z5E - Comprehensive tests/reviews?

cardazio

n3wb
Reaction score
Do any of you know of where there are thorough tests/reviews of this cam? Searched the forum and did not find it.

Searching far and wide to find a suitable cam for my front porch (ideal near focus 1m, far Identification-DORI 13 meters to cover the whole area).
6-7 mm focal length is what I am after (to complement the 4k-X which is already installed).

Was looking through Dahua's entire catalogue and this cam is specified to have an Identification DORI value of 19 meters and a close focus of 0,4-2 meters.
Seems incredible for a 1/2.7" sensor, but it has 4 IR LEDs and an f1.3 aperture, so worth looking into.
7mm is a sweet spot focal length in this case. If the same model has a 2.7-12mm version with similar DORI and close focus that would be prefered, but I did not find one on Dahua's homepage.

CAMs:
IPC-HFW5541E-Z5E (dahuasecurity.com)
IPC-HDBW5541E-Z5E (dahuasecurity.com)

zexoni70

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Do any of you know of where there are thorough tests/reviews of this cam? Searched the forum and did not find it.

Searching far and wide to find a suitable cam for my front porch (ideal near focus 1m, far Identification-DORI 13 meters to cover the whole area).
6-7 mm focal length is what I am after (to complement the 4k-X which is already installed).

Was looking through Dahua's entire catalogue and this cam is specified to have an Identification DORI value of 19 meters and a close focus of 0,4-2 meters.
Seems incredible for a 1/2.7" sensor, but it has 4 IR LEDs and an f1.3 aperture, so worth looking into.
7mm is a sweet spot focal length in this case. If the same model has a 2.7-12mm version with similar DORI and close focus that would be prefered, but I did not find one on Dahua's homepage.

CAMs:
IPC-HFW5541E-Z5E (dahuasecurity.com)
IPC-HDBW5541E-Z5E (dahuasecurity.com)
You have a couple of pictures posted here at night and in color, it's not a detailed test but it might help ...

Reaction score
That cam is a 5MP on a 1/2.7" sensor, which will not give you good night time video. It also has a 7-35mm lens and you stated that you want 6-7mm, so you are paying for way too much lens than you need.

Check out the T5442T-ZE which is a 4MP cam on a 1/1.8" sensor with a varifocal lens of 2.7-12mm. This will give much better night performance than the 5541.

Here are some reviews of different flavors of this cam:

(4) Dahua T5442T-ZE in-depth review | IP Cam Talk

(4) Review: OEM IPC-B5442T-ASE-NI 4MP Pro AI Starlight Full-color Fixed Bullet | IP Cam Talk

(4) IPC-HFW5442E-ZE Review with Ajax alarm and VMS for my company | IP Cam Talk

cardazio

n3wb
Reaction score
That cam is a 5MP on a 1/2.7" sensor, which will not give you good night time video. It also has a 7-35mm lens and you stated that you want 6-7mm, so you are paying for way too much lens than you need.

Check out the T5442T-ZE which is a 4MP cam on a 1/1.8" sensor with a varifocal lens of 2.7-12mm. This will give much better night performance than the 5541.

Here are some reviews of different flavors of this cam:

(4) Dahua T5442T-ZE in-depth review | IP Cam Talk

(4) Review: OEM IPC-B5442T-ASE-NI 4MP Pro AI Starlight Full-color Fixed Bullet | IP Cam Talk

(4) IPC-HFW5442E-ZE Review with Ajax alarm and VMS for my company | IP Cam Talk
Looking for an IR cam to supplement the 4k-x.
I was hoping the situation may be a little different since the aperture is quite large for an IR cam. f1.3 gathers more than twice the amount of light compared to an f1.8, which may counteract the smaller sensor size. However seems a little too good to be true and would like to see some examples if possible to compare to the 5442.

In my scene the 4k-x gives fill light and captures the scene (and often also faces) and the IR cam (whichever model I decide upon) will provide IR fill light in the immediate direction the perps come from and capture the face.

Could actually be a typo on the dahua site. The min. illumination states f1.8 but max aperture stats f1.3. If it is f1.8 there is no reason why 5442 shouldn't be better.

Last edited:

cardazio

n3wb
Reaction score
Looking for an IR cam to supplement the 4k-x.
I was hoping the situation may be a little different since the aperture is quite large for an IR cam. f1.3 gathers more than twice the amount of light compared to an f1.8, which may counteract the smaller sensor size. However seems a little too good to be true and would like to see some examples if possible to compare to the 5442.

In my scene the 4k-x gives fill light and captures the scene (and often also faces) and the IR cam (whichever model I decide upon) will provide IR fill light in the immediate direction the perps come from and capture the face.

Could actually be a typo on the dahua site. The min. illumination states f1.8 but max aperture stats f1.3. If it is f1.8 there is no reason why 5442 shouldn't be better.
Had a look at the sample images from the website above and it is pretty clear that the 5442E is superior.