IPC-HFW5231E-Z12E and 90 km/h. is it possible?

Kutalon

n3wb
Reaction score
I am thinking about getting LPR system after I had to tell police officers that there is no way they will read license plates from my cameras.

Is it even possible to catch license plates at speed of 90-100 km/h with IPC-HFW5231E-Z12E? The speed limit is 50-60 km/h but it's Poland...

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am thinking about getting LPR system after I had to tell police officers that there is no way they will read license plates from my cameras.

Is it even possible to catch license plates at speed of 90-100 km/h with IPC-HFW5231E-Z12E? The speed limit is 50-60 km/h but it's Poland...
Hi @Kutalon

It is not always a simple answer as there are a lot of variables to consider. Light conditions, weather conditions, camera's settings ( "tuning parameters" ), angle of camera to plates, distance of camera from plates, ..

Placed well, yes that camera and many others can capture plates at that speed - provided you have good conditions, angle to plates, tuning parameters...

however, if angles is off, car too far away, slow frame rate, you may miss the car and plates...

Kutalon

n3wb
Reaction score
Horizontal angle would be around 12 degrees, distance 30m and for the second one 19 degrees 32 meters.
First one would be from the back of a car, second from the front.
In Poland, back license plate must have lights, will this help or make it more difficult to read them?

richardgohth

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It depends mainly on lighting.
Hence it will be possible during the day when the sun is bright.
Clouldy sky is preferred.
In the night wld need illuminator strong enuf.
IR illuminator at least 20Watts for reflective plates, 100w for non reflective.