IPC-HFW5231E-Z12 - What is the focus issue?

FlipNJ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@FlipNJ - My LPRs did that too, especially at night. The black image is mistaken by BI as a lost signal. It hasn't really lost the signal as I could watch it live and see a car come through at the exact moment it said no signal.

Make sure under watchdog that the "interpret monocrome as loss of signal" is unchecked - that will eliminate the issue.

Or you can turn watchdog off and that will eliminate it showing those errors ever again LOL.

But yes, the problem will be any power outage at night or sunrise/sunset times will cause a focus issue. But depending on your field of view, it can happen in the middle of the daytime as well and the focus can be off due to that tight shot of basically asphalt with all of its little nuances in texture causing issues focusing. That is why you parked your car there to get a good focus.

Set your focus number to what you had for the vehicle and then hit auto focus without a vehicle in the scene and watch how out of whack the focus will get...mine jumps all over the place - it will be one number then I immediately hit autofocus again and it changes 28 spots on the focus number, then do again and it goes 15 the other way. As always YMMV, but I suspect that is the issue you are experiencing.

Which is also why many of us run the sunrise/sunset utility that bp2008 created It certainly helps because the focus is so sensitive at the tight zoom and shutter we run, along with the asphalt background.
I get the monochrome thing, it makes sense. Was wondering why the newest cam was having the issue. Just unchecked what you said and reset the counters in BI.
Haven't (luckily) had any issue between day and night but I am leaving it BW 24/7. Have numerous other cameras to identify colors.
As a side note, I am liking the Net time setup. Cams are all within a second of each other.

FlipNJ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Its not a BI issue as BI doesn't mess with the focus. Have you tried to replicate this? In other words, if you unplug the camera and plug it back it, does it never return to the manual focus you had set?
Have not tried to unplug it. Trying out what wittaj suggested. BI is possibly detected the very dark image as signal loss. Not sure but trying that first. For me, it is best to try one adjustment at a time... so I know specifically what the deal was.

Bitslizer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Have not tried to unplug it. Trying out what wittaj suggested. BI is possibly detected the very dark image as signal loss. Not sure but trying that first. For me, it is best to try one adjustment at a time... so I know specifically what the deal was.
Put a driveway markers or reflector sticker within frame so it's not completely dark. Also great for confirming focus.

Near mid far shakers stickers

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The black screen was being interpreted as loss of signal. The setting I told you to do will take care of that issue.

The focus issue if the camera reboots or loses power is a different issue that can be solved using the utility many of us use or doing as some have been able to do and use the reflective markings out in the street or curb or what not. The 5231 will not go back to the focus setting at night as it will re-autofocus (at least mine does); whereas the 5241has a manual focus option that will reboot back to that setting. I didn't control the area where my camera is pointing and reflective tape on the curb didn't last long and tended to overshoot the focus. But @Bitslizer was able to work around that on his install with a marker on each side of the road that helped it focus to the middle. As always YMMV.

Bitslizer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes and no, not sure if it's because of the different unit or they they are 3 years old 5231e-z12 physically and no longer in tip top shape. Or I suspect need a stronger and more central image

My 1 lpr, at about 150ft with very strong marker and tape fairly central to the image can actually do decent auto focus by itself switching between day and night.

My other one at 250 ft with only a few almost out of frame reflector tape, cannot auto focus. This is actually the better one with the working iris

I have it on my list to get the sunrise sunset utility workingbut want to see if I can get something similar working on my raspberry pi since I already have one if those running 24/7

Attachments

Last edited:

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I have it on my list to get the sunrise sunset utility workingbut want to see if I can get something similar working on my raspberry pi since I already have one if those running 24/7

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As a side note, I am liking the Net time setup. Cams are all within a second of each other.
What is the "Net Time" setup? I def have issues getting and keeping the time on my camers synced with each other and BI's time using the govt. NIST url in the cameras.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What is the "Net Time" setup? I def have issues getting and keeping the time on my camers synced with each other and BI's time using the govt. NIST url in the cameras.
Try this thread:

Bitslizer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Try this thread:

Do we have this for Linux too?

Bitslizer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Try this:

ended up running a NTP server on my Pi and setting the camera NTP server to my Pi, need to see if those behind the NVR can sync the time

Seems the NVR can act as NTP server too, double checking

Last edited:

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Bitslizer said:
Actually I found this to be better than that v repeater extender if you aren't planning to cascade it further, especially with higher power draw like ptz and camera with high power ir for long range zoom. Each get their full share of power and they don't even need to be on the same switch.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08JS45B89/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_77N9QNRSDCNAH448V8AS?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Oh I had seen those but hadn't heard anyone here using it - works good? I have a spot that would be perfect for!
I have been using the same\similar device for about a month now with no issues.
Mine look slightly different w blue portion on each end and 1 male\1 female output.
I have it plugged into 2 ports of an 8 port POE+ switch, (which is plugged into a larger main 48 port POE switch with other cameras that do not need POE+).
On the receiving end is my 4x2MP 180 deg cam and the other is connected to a 4-1 POE extender \ splitter powering 2 other cameras and a TP-Link AP.
I do not know how to test for the total wattage draw of the 4x2mp camera and the other 3 devices total but in theory these connectors are able to pass up to the 60W supplied by the POE+ switch to my devices on the other end if needed.
1620842563931.png 1620842698895.png

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.