IPC-HDW5442TM-ASE and firmware updates? What's the difference?

TutenStain

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello!
I have a couple of IPC-HDW5442TM-ASE cameras and I was wondering if there is a way to update the firmware? The Web UI says that its running 2.820.0000000.4.R, Build Date: 2021-05-27 on of the cameras and the other says V2.800.0000000.20.R, Build Date: 2020-09-03. None of them says that there are any updates, but when I navigate to the Dahua support site (link here) it lists two different firmwares which seems newer? What are the differences between the two? Which one should I flash, or are there some other source of firmwares? Not sure if it matters, but these cameras were bought from a reputable seller in Sweden and I think they are genuine(?)

Thanks.

1644748893290.png

Attachments

Justin Blackburn

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
PN is for Pal. NP is for NTSC. NTSC is mainly for US. But I live in the US and run my cameras on PAL so it doesn’t really matter. With that said us the PN.

Unless you are trying to fix an issue, it isn’t really advised to flash new firmware. There is a chance of messing up a working cam.

TutenStain

n3wb
Reaction score
PN is for Pal. NP is for NTSC. NTSC is mainly for US. But I live in the US and run my cameras on PAL so it doesn’t really matter. With that said us the PN.

Unless you are trying to fix an issue, it isn’t really advised to flash new firmware. There is a chance of messing up a working cam.
Ah, PAL vs NTSC that makes sense. Thanks.

Do you have any idea why the cameras dont recognize that there is an update but one exist on the site?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ah, PAL vs NTSC that makes sense. Thanks.

Do you have any idea why the cameras dont recognize that there is an update but one exist on the site?
That internal update feature has never worked.

Don't update just because, only do so if you are trying to solve an issue. Best to contact your supplier for firmware updates.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You really need to be asking yourself why are you updating? If it is just for grins and giggles or OCD behavior to be running the latest firmware, think twice.

A common theme around here is don't fix what ain't broke. If the unit is working and meets your needs, in many instances an update breaks what you had working and provides you with something you didn't need or bricks the camera. In most instances, updates are simply security vulnerability patches (usually years after the breach was found), but since we do not give our cameras internet access, the update is useless to us.

Here are issues I have seen people report here where they were upgrading just for the sake of upgrading:
  • A Dahua Z12E that someone updated and then constantly reboots comes to mind,
  • The Dahua 49225 PTZ that loses autotracking with an update come to mind,
  • A Hikvision ANPR camera losing half the FPS and loses the ability to read US plates - those are big deals to have happen.
  • A Hikvision camera that the user lost ability to control the LED light function at night.
  • Countless other instances where the camera simply bricked and became useless.
  • Countless examples where the camera went into Chinese.
Don't do it unless it is fixing a problem you are experiencing or adds a feature you really need.

Further, it is best to obtain any firmware updates from the vendor you purchased it from so that you do not run into issues. Any firmware you find here or elsewhere is obviously proceed at your own risk. We have many threads here where someone tried an update with a firmware they found on the internet and bricked their unit.

Many units being sold are Chinese hacked units into English that will either brick or go into Chinese upon updating. Some vendors will be upfront and tell consumers that as part of their website, but many do not or the consumer forgets...here is one such example....

1642229617913.png