IPC-HDW5231R-Z recommended BI camera configuration settings?

crc2004

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
What BI camera configuration settings are recommended for the IPC-HDW5231R-Z and it's other family members? I've been using the generic but didn't know if there were better settings.

Screen Shot 2018-01-10 at 5.02.39 AM.png

Reaction score
Did you ever get the settings? I am installing mine and looking for the exact thing you asked about here?

crc2004

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
No-one ever responded so I'm using the Generic (same as above) which works but I don't know if it's optimal.

Reaction score
And this allows you do zoom the camera???? Not just a digital crop with mouse wheel???? The magnifying glass+ works????

crc2004

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
What's why I asked the question. The HDW5231R-Z is a very popular camera and there are many experts on this forum but no-one seems to be interested answering this question.

Cam_curious

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have "Dahua" for the camera make and "Main Stream RTSP" for the camera model. I set the PTZ to "Amcrest/Dahua and optical
zoom works using the PTZ controls. Digital zoom also works using the mouse wheel. I tried all of the other Dahua
PTZ settings and the ONVIF setting, they all did not work.

Reaction score
I have "Dahua" for the camera make and "Main Stream RTSP" for the camera model. I set the PTZ to "Amcrest/Dahua and optical
zoom works using the PTZ controls. Digital zoom also works using the mouse wheel. I tried all of the other Dahua
PTZ settings and the ONVIF setting, they all did not work.

I don't have Amcrest/Dahua as an option there.......I wonder if we are using different BI versions....???? I am away from my machine at the moment....what version are you using?????

Thanks for trying to help out...

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What's why I asked the question. The HDW5231R-Z is a very popular camera and there are many experts on this forum but no-one seems to be interested answering this question.
My experience has been that if you give Blue Iris the proper ONVIF admin username/password, when you click Find/Inspect, the 5231 will provide back everything that BI needs to properly configure everything. At least that's how it worked on four of my cameras... Video, sound, zoom, ... everything worked/looked/sounded in BI the exact same as the web UI on the camera.

Here's what a normal Find/Inspect looks like on my 5231s.
Opening 192.168.1.20 port 80...
HTTP Get / request...
OK
ONVIF GetSystemDateAndTime
2018-03-09T15:30:50.000Z
Requesting device information...
Manufacturer: Dahua
Model: IPC-HDW5231R-Z
FirmwareVersion: 2.460.Dahua 00.7.R, build: 2017-03-06
GetCapabilities...
Querying services
Has Imaging services: /onvif/imaging_service
Has media services: /onvif/media_service
Has RTP_RTSP_TCP, requesting profiles
first profile is MediaProfile000
first source is 000
requesting URI for profile MediaProfile000
RTSP URI: /cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=0&unicast=true&proto=Onvif
Has Event services: /onvif/event_service
RelayOutputs: 0
InputConnectors: 0
Has Device IO services: /onvif/deviceIO_service
AudioOutputs: 0
Has PTZ service: /onvif/ptz_service
Done
Two of my 5231s came from a vendor other than Andy, and for whatever reason, when I logged into the cameras the first time (and it has you reset the admin password), it did NOT reset the ONVIF admin password to be the same. So when I typed the password into Blue Iris and clicked Find/Inspect, it came back with completely different results than above, and the two cameras behaved differently with BI than the other cameras.

Here's what a failed Find/Inspect looked like on my 5231s:
Opening 192.168.1.20 port 80...
HTTP Get / request...
OK
2018-03-09T15:31:39.000Z
Bad response
GetCapabilities...
Querying services
Checking for common cameras...
Foscam FI86xx/98xx compatible?
Foscam FI89xx compatible?
Foscam FI9821 V2 compatible?
Foscam FI9821 media port compatible?
RTSP port open?
RTSP port detected!
Done
So my experience has been that as long as BI can successfully Find/Inspect the cameras, everything works perfectly, so I've not attempted to find "better settings". I'd imagine most folks have had the same experience.

But since I have no experience with "better settings", I would normally not reply to a thread like this. It's not from "lack of interest", it's from "lack of experience" (with what you're asking).

Last edited:

Cam_curious

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Here is what I get from "inspect" from my IPC-HDW5231RP-ZE that just arrived from Andy yesterday.

Opening 192.168.XXX.XXX port 80...
HTTP Get / request...
OK
2000-01-01T10:18:28.000Z
Bad response
GetCapabilities...
Querying services
Opening 192.168.209.97 port 8999...
HTTP 12029
Checking for common cameras...
Foscam FI86xx/98xx compatible?
Foscam FI89xx compatible?
Foscam FI9821 V2 compatible?
Foscam FI9821 media port compatible?
RTSP port open?
RTSP port detected!
Done​

After this the video works but the zoom does not. It set the PTZ to ONVIF which does
not work, restoring it to "Amcrest/Dahua" does work.

Pete.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ah, so BI can't connect to your camera using the ONVIF 'admin' username/password provided, so it can't issue some ONVIF commands (like PTZ).

I'm not sure which firmware version is on your camera, but you can try going to Settings > System > Account > ONVIF and editing the 'admin' account there to have the same password as what you're telling BI to use. This setting doesn't exist in older firmware versions, though.

Screen Shot 2018-03-09 at 12.41.49 PM.png

Why not use "Dahua" for the make and "Main Stream RTSP" for the model? That works for me.
I don't think anything's wrong with that, but if BI is able to connect using the ONVIF 'admin' account (for Find/Inspect), BI configures everything without the user having select anything. At least that's been my experience with 5231/5631 models.

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am wondering if the camera firmware version has anything to do with these ONVIF password issues. As stated the older firmware did not have the option to modify the ONVIF password, and you had to use a tool from Dahua to fix the ONVIF password.

Also, the method of initial set up may be a factor, depending on what was used to change the password on the camera. The Dahua configtool? The camera web interface?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Also, the method of initial set up may be a factor, depending on what was used to change the password on the camera. The Dahua configtool? The camera web interface?
That's what I'm thinking. Never had this problem with anything I've received from Andy, but I did have it with the two 5231s I got elsewhere. I'm guessing they used a different tool to configure/test those. That's what I get for being impatient back when the 5231s were in backorder. :D

ipcamal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you for the pointer on onvif user. One of my 5231 cameras had different settings from the other ones. Tried to do inspect in BI and it was showing bad response.
Tried to change password for existing user and was unable to because old password didn't match. Created new user and adjusted BI. inspect worked perfectly

Cam_curious

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I set my ONVIF password to the samething as my main password and now inspect works properly.
Thanks for the tip.

Cam_curious

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I had my IR setting to "manual" in the camera that way the IR button in BI would work.
When I used the "inspect" feature the PTZ got set to ONVIF and the IR button no longer
worked. The camera setting remained "manual" for IR. Setting the PTZ type to
"Amcrest/Dahua" made the BI IR button work again.

anon71

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I am having the same problem with my brand new 4231. I've tried what I've read above - using the same ONVIF password as main password and creating a new user. I've also tried creating different passwords. "Find/Inspect" finds the IP address but only recognizes it as generic. EDIT: Also, the 4231 doesn't appear among the Dahua cameras that you can manually select. I am running the demo version of BI in case that matters.

Here is the output:

Opening 192.168.1.11 port 80...
HTTP Get / request...
OK
2000-01-01T01:34:59.000Z
Manufacturer: General
Model: IP Camera
FirmwareVersion: 2.622.0000000.23.R, Build Date 2018-03-30
GetCapabilities...
Querying services
first source is 000
Has WSPullPointSupport
Done

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am having the same problem with my brand new 4231. I've tried what I've read above - using the same ONVIF password as main password and creating a new user. I've also tried creating different passwords. "Find/Inspect" finds the IP address but only recognizes it as generic. EDIT: Also, the 4231 doesn't appear among the Dahua cameras that you can manually select. I am running the demo version of BI in case that matters.

Here is the output:

Opening 192.168.1.11 port 80...
HTTP Get / request...
OK
2000-01-01T01:34:59.000Z
Manufacturer: General
Model: IP Camera
FirmwareVersion: 2.622.0000000.23.R, Build Date 2018-03-30
GetCapabilities...
Querying services
first source is 000
Has WSPullPointSupport
Done
you can simply use dahua rtsp from the dropdown. it will always display as generic when using find inspect.