Ipc-hdw4421emp-as

randyth

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
No I'm from Texas. We had a typical storm but lightning actually hit my pecan tree in my backyard. Killed 7 of 8 cameras, my poe switch, router, modem, tv, xbox one etc...now all I need to replace is the 7 cameras.
Quite offtopic, but did you have a surge protector for any of those devices?

tygger

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Were the cameras that died from the lightning powered via POE?

If a lightning strikes close enough, even a high rated joule protection probably won't stand a chance.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
with a direct hit on his property, there is almost nothing he could have done to save the equipment.. short of using grounded (shielded) wiring hooked to an externally grounded lightning arrestor on all external devices.. and even then they wont have a chance to survive a direct hit, and all bets are off with a near-miss.

surge protector might of helped if a transformer a few blocks away took a direct hit.. it depends largely on luck.. I am betting all his gear was fried from induced current picked up by the wiring acting as antenna.. I doubt the surge came in via power mains alone.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
@CaliCam There was no option except to purchase PAL, which suited me fine as I'm in New Zealand we use PAL here.
I think the only difference as far as IP cameras are concerned is that "PAL" cameras are often artificially limited to 25 or 50 FPS whereas "NTSC" cameras can do 30 or 60 FPS. If you were pulling analog video from a camera, it would be a different story.

Last edited by a moderator:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
the sub-stream resolutions are slightly different also on a PAL Camera, but the encoding and formatting are entirely identical so it has no impact on playback compatibilities.. the resolutions on the PAL sub streams are higher than that of NTSC substreams, and that accounts for lower limits on the framerate.

for smoothest playback, use a framerate thats divisible by 60 for NTSC countries.. (6/10/12/15/20 FPS) this will avoid the 2:3 teardown and result in smoother motion on playback.

g_phill

n3wb
Reaction score
Playing around with the settings and I notice you can adjust the IR light on this camera. Options are SmartIR, Custom and OFF. Not sure if this feature is specific to this model camera or a feature on the newer firmware.