IPC color4k-t video stuttering

f1restarter

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Starting a new thread on this topic as I have been briefly discussing this in a few other threads a while ago with some suggestions but with no conclusion.

My setup is:
BI server:
Dell Optiplex 3050, i5-6500/intel graphics 530 with 16gb ram, 500gb ssd only for OS, 3tb seagate surveillance disk for recordings (new, stored, alerts)
Win10 pro clean install, latest BI v5.

Network: tp-link omada enterprise poe+ switches interconnected with fiber sfp
Cameras on a isolated subnet/vlan.

Cameras: 1 IPC-Color4K-T, 1 5442 and 3 older hikvisions. Total 5 cameras

I have read the wikis on this site and did all the applicable optimizations/ "tweaks", including substreams for all my cameras and direct2disk recording. (continous+trigger)
All cameras are Constant bitrate, 15fps (both main and substreams) and i-frame set to 15.

My issue is that after I installed and set up my color-4k-t it is stuttering/pausing every second. This is when viewing live or recordings in Bi console or even UI3.
My other cameras are also behaving likewise when my ipc-color4k-t is enabled but not nearly as bad. If I disable the 4k-t, the other cameras are smooth.

-If I disable substreams on the 4k-t, everything is fine but I want to be able to keep that for obvious reasons.
-If I increase the i-frame interval to 30, the stuttering is every 2 seconds and so on.
-Videos exported to mp4 from blue iris is also perfectly smooth.
-I have tried factory defaulting the camera (3times, using IE)?and installing latest firmware with exact same result
-I have tried to reconfigure it from scratch in Blue iris and increased the buffer/cache to 40mb (can't remember the name, I am away from the server atm)

I don't believe this is network related, because if I view the 4k-T's full resolution RTSP stream directly in VLC player on same computer it is perfectly smooth. (VLC has a 1000ms buffer)

I have seen in other threads people are experiencing similar symptoms using 4k cameras but none of them seems to be resolved.

I am wondering if this could be a pc hardware issue? My BI server is usually running around only 10-12% cpu load and memory less than 30%.

My next step is to try BI with this camera on a more powerful computer...

For those of you that successfully run this specific camera with Blue Iris (1or more), what are your hardware specs?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are you running hardware acceleration? If so turn it off.

My 4K/Ts, yes plural, work just fine on a 4th gen CPU. Hardware acceleration is turned off globally and in each camera.

f1restarter

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes, hardware acceleration turned off. I believe you gave me that tip on my last attempt
I also downloaded the latest graphics driver directly from Intel.

This is so strange.... Is your 4th gen cpu i5 or i7? My next attempt will be a i7-6700 I have laying around but that will be when I am home from work next week

f1restarter

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Update: Today I replaced the CPU in my BI box with a used i7-6700 that I previously bought from an online marketplace for a few bucks. Same generation, of course same LGA 1151 socket, and support for the same motherboard chipset.
It was a simple swap, I just had to enable hyperthreading in Dell bios and after a reboot, windows recognized my new CPU :)
20230424_144752.jpg

My 4K-T was still "stuttering" every second when viewing live video or recordings in BI after the swap.
I then tried to enable Hardware encoding for the 4K-T only (regular Intel) and that seems to solve the problem. I had previously tried that and every possible other options with my original i5-6500 CPU, but hey! I now have almost perfectly smooth video from my 4K-T in Blue Iris!

4kt bi setting.png

I only enabled it for the particular camera, and not "globally" in BI: (I don't know the difference)
bi global.png

For anyone interested, here is the Intel HD 530 driver that showed up automatically in Win10 after the swap:

intel hd530 virker.png

I did not have high hopes for this attempt, as the CPU benchmark for the i7-6700 is not very much higher than the i5-6500, but 6th gen i7 supports hyperthreading and 6th gen i5 do not.
The official BI website however recommends the use of i7 processors

Anyways, I am very happy with the outcome

Attachments