IPC-color-4K-X IVS issue

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I echo all the praises of the color-4k-x camera with one exception: Line crossing and intrusion are not working as I'd like them to. People and cars are detected with impressive reliability. Even tiny images in the distance trigger the IVS. On the other hand, it doesn't pick up animals. I can watch a deer or smaller animal walk right through multiple tripwires without detection. I've had the camera a few months and the only things that have triggered tripwire or intrusion are people, cars, and sometimes tall grass blowing in the wind. I'd expect this if the Target Filter was enabled, but it's not. Do other 4k-X owners pick up animals with IVS? Could it be a bug where the Target Filter works great but can't be turned off?

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Have seen the same. Great for people (don't have cars where mine is) but doesn't seem to pick up animals well even with the person/vehicle filter turned off.

Mine is kind of strange. In daylight it will at times trigger on dark birds hopping around the yard. That's about all that I ever see. Will pick up my cat now and then but that's rare. Foxes, raccoons, opossum, etc., come through all the time at night and they'll trigger other cams but not the Color 4K/X or a 5442 using IVS with the filter turned off. Trip wires, intrusion boxes, etc., don't seem to make any difference. As you say it's as if the filter is still active for the most part.

Some others mentioned the same in the Color 4K/X thread. Wish they'd give us an animal filter.

Last edited:

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I had the exact same problem with 5442s but eventually found one firmware version that picks up animals very well. (V2.800.0000000.8.R, Build Date: 2019-09-02 ). This version doesn't have smart IR, no loss for me since I use external IR. I haven't noticed any other firmware versions to try with the 4k-x.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
IIRC Andy said they had worked hard to eliminate animal false alarms.
.....But I have assumed that would be with only with the human and/or vehicle filter turned on. Wrong assumption? Unlike city folk, I want to see the animal activity. Just a couple of days ago I was able to ID the hole digger near to the house as a badger, and a couple of weeks ago, the poop-pile-dumper near the front door as an owl. Wouldn't have been able to catch either one in the act with the 4k-x.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I had the exact same problem with 5442s but eventually found one firmware version that picks up animals very well. (V2.800.0000000.8.R, Build Date: 2019-09-02 ). This version doesn't have smart IR, no loss for me since I use external IR. I haven't noticed any other firmware versions to try with the 4k-x.
Yeah, mine is later... V2.800.15OG004.0.R, Build Date: 2020-10-19. Which seems to be a good overall version otherwise. Not sure it's worth trying to go backwards. I have other non-AI cams that do trigger and record continuous on all so I can always go back and look for whatever. Would be nice to have it work though. Hey Dahua, add an animal filter. ; ) (not holding my breath for that one)

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Just as an alternative. Could you just use standard motion detection and tweak sensitivity/threshold along side the so called smart detection?
You can but then you start to get more of the falses again. My back yard where these cams are has a big tree that the sun shines through all day and with a bright moon and it's very tough to get right. But that's what I've done pretty well with my other non-AI cams. Need to take the time to set up separate day/night settings. Then could go with regular motion at night and not have the tree complications in play (mostly at least). Was hoping for an easy way with IVS but thanks for reminding me that I should do.

Last edited:

kobebeef

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Dahua SMD 3.0 will filter animals.
You can set the SMD sensitivity.
SMD 3.0 can distinguish between people and cars.
Instead, I think the old SMD is better to use.
In addition, the firmware V2.800.15OG004.0.R cannot run the CMOS of HFW5849T1
Firmware version V2.840 or later must be used.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I've picked up a few things to try out. I'm not optimistic, but will fiddle with motion detection. If line crossing worked as well as in my 5 year old cheap chinese market cameras, I'd be satisfied with it. Maybe we'll get a new firmware version to try out sometime soon, knock on wood.

quest100

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have been trying to do this using Blue Iris clones. Original is set up to receive IVS alerts. Clone is using motion detection within BI. Unfortunately I have not been able to do this without recording both the original (continuous) and the clone (when triggered). Also, when reviewing my overview group of cameras from overnight the clone triggers appear mixed in.

Does anyone know how to set this up better? Normally I want to be able see alerts from both types of triggers but to ignore alerts from the BI motion triggers on windy nights. Preferably with out wasting resources with duplicate recordings.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I tried something easy with the 4k-x IVS first, testing if the Target Filter on/off switch might be backwards, i.e. on-off and off=on. It's not backwards and I ended up doing some unplanned testing of the target filters. Not a rigorous test by any means but my finding is they work pretty darn well. With human only selected, people on foot and bicycle get picked up reliably. Cars and trucks breeze right through with no IVS trigger. Just the opposite with motor vehicle detection: Cars and trucks trigger reliably, people walk or ride right through with no trigger. Pretty impressive. Still no luck for triggers on bunny rabbits, squirrels, kitty cats, etc.