IPC-B5442E-Z4E Night Settings

MarkusAgustus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm trying to get the best night settings but I have no basis for comparison. So I don't know if I can get better video at night? Given the attached video and settings document does anyone have any suggestions on how to make it better? Is this the best that I can hope for? The B5442E-Z4E is zoomed in to about 45%. I had to break the video up in order to get it to upload so I cut them where the Coyote comes in and out of frame. I did try H.264H but the video seemed a little more grainy. Please advise. Thank you.

Attachments

MarkusAgustus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm just trying to get the motion crisper. I'm not sure if it is possible with this camera? I've tried all kinds of different options and this is about the best I can get it. Having said that I don't have the experience of many on this site so it is entirely possible that I could have missed something, or something could be tweaked a little more.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Try a fixed shutter instead of a range or a tighter range.

Play with the brightness, sharpness and gamma. It is amazing how much that can impact the image and motion.

Try to take them lower if you can and try to have contrast a little higher number than brightness.

MarkusAgustus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Play with the brightness, sharpness and gamma. It is amazing how much that can impact the image and motion.

Try to take them lower if you can and try to have contrast a little higher number than brightness.
Okay, those are good ideas. For a start I'm going to try 8.83-8.83 for the shutter range. For the other settings I will experiment based on your suggestions.

Also, on this camera it has a setting for IRIS. If I understand this setting correctly it is like an F-Stop. I have it set for 70. Does that mean that I have the IRIS statically set for 70% open of its range? If so, should it be set even higher at night? Maybe higher creates other issues?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Similar to the other parameters, I try to run it as low as possible. The images and video are so processed with these cameras (turn off NR at night and watch the dancing dots), so it is always a balance, but the lower the number, usually the less processing for each parameter.

MarkusAgustus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Yup, this is good advice. I've been playing a lot with these settings. Every camera is different due to their location, even when they're very close. In general, I've noticed that by lowering these settings the image gets darker but more detail appears. Leaves me with the decision on how much detail vs light do I want?

I've read some that say an optical zoom is key to a good image. The more I play with the variable focal lengths the more I agree. So, to do a more complete job I need more cameras! Someone stated here somewhere that cameras multiply like rabbits... and it looks like it will happen with me over time. One camera zoomed for it's one job, perhaps coupled with an overview camera.

Thank you.