IP Dynamic Address

ponyrider127

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I need some help on the last thing to do. I can't get the Asus router to update the dynamic IP address. What can I do or change to get this working? I have tried Asus and DYNDNS service and a update client running from a laptop but as soon as my IP changes then I can't log in to the router. I have to log into the DYNDNS service from the lan side to update.
Thanks for any input on this issue.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You're talking about the WAN IP being dynamic, correct?

Try this: OpenVPN on a Asus router because it also discusses setting up and refreshing DDNS on the Asus router.

When your WAN IP changes the Asus should update the hostname stored on Asus' DDNS server with the new WAN IP.

Last edited:

dex90

n3wb
Reaction score
You're talking about the WAN IP being dynamic, correct?

Try this: OpenVPN on a Asus router because it also discusses setting up and refreshing DDNS on the Asus router.

When your WAN IP changes the Asus should update the hostname stored on Asus' DDNS server with the new WAN IP.
Do you connect the Asus router right after the ISP provided modem/router? I don't understnad how an outside inbound connecton is possible if this secondary router running OpenVPN is behind NAT?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You set the ISP modem/router to bypass pass-though so it is only a modem. The router is ASUS.

dex90

n3wb
Reaction score
You set the ISP modem/router to bypass pass-though so it is only a modem. The router is ASUS.
Thanks for the tip! I went over all the setting options in my modem/router and was unable to find anything that would resemble this passthrough settings to turn it into only a modem. I'll have to call my ISP tech support and ask how to do this.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Look for the term "bridge mode" if you haven't already.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
And to be sure this is the modem/router provided by your ISP? There is no other device?

dex90

n3wb
Reaction score
what is the ISP modem make and model number
ispmodemrouter.png
Here you go. Probably won't help you much since it is an EU telecom company. The web interface they use is also completely unknown and I didn't find any references to its name "TUNDRA" with English Google even tho the interface is in English language.

And to be sure this is the modem/router provided by your ISP? There is no other device?
Yes, there is no other router, only a plug-n-play switch. It has to be a modem+router in 1 device because I see the PPPoE settings and DHCP table etc...

I think I’ll buy cheapest Asus router that has OpenVPN, 1 IP camera and then I’ll ask my ISP to put my modem/router into a bridge mode only. And I’ll go from there testing and learning until I upgrade to proper sized router

Last edited:

reflection

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If bridge mode on your ISP router is not an option, there are other options to achieve dynamic DNS. Do a search. For example, I use freedns.afraid.org. There may be other options for you in Slovenia.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The genexis titanium 24 seems like a configurable device. It supports TV, phone, Wifi, and the internet. Try contacting your customer technical support and see if they have any help.

in one of the PDF documents, it indicates that there is support for VPN Pass-through. Do a google search on "genexis titanium 24 vpn"

There are some YouTube videos, but i do not understand what is being said :(

Last edited:

ponyrider127

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I am the original poster for this problem. So I will continue with what I have. My modem/router has been set to bridge mode. My Asus router has been setup for DDNS with Asus, No-IP, and I tried DYNDNS service with the same results. As soon as my IP changes none of them have updated. I can connect if it is up to date but once it changes it won't connect. It has to be something I am missing in the setup but can not figure it out. I am ready to call the IP and get a static IP address.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are you using BI ? If so what application are you using ?
What model asus router ?
Screen shot of the ASUS router WAN DDNS screen ?
does the open VPN client connect on your phone ?
What is the server name in OpenVPN profile..... it should be something like xxxxxx.asuscomm.com

Why do you think it is not working, what are the not working symptoms .

What do you mean as soons as, 10 seconds, a few hours......

reflection

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If this is for remote BI App access, another option is stunnel. You don't need DynDNS if you use the stunnel method. Your BI machine will advertise your external IP address to the BI cloud servers (which manage your license). When you connect via the Blue Iris app, and you lookup your license key, it will populate your app with your home network's WAN address. And then you just connect.

ponyrider127

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I am using SmartPSS with gDMSS lite for phone. I am using OpenVPN Connect for phone. Like I said everything works until the dynamic IP changes.
Router is Asus RT-AC68U. It will work up to 3-7 days. When it stops working it is because the IP has changed.
I am trying DYNDNS now.

Attachments

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
who is your internet provider ?
Is this a cellular or satellite home internet provider ?

I have comcast as my internet provider and use an ASUS RT-AC66U_B1 and have had zero problems with the ASUS DDNS service.
asus setup ddns
asus_ddns.jpg

ponyrider127

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have Centurylink DSL.
I also am running Asuswrt-Merlin latest version. Maybe I should go back to stock firmware.

Last edited:

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What is your modem make and manufacture ? Are you sure that the century link device is in Transparent Bridging Mode ?

what i do not understand is why the IP address keeps changing. My WAN IP address only changes after a long term power outage., where my UPS dies. Or the internet provider has a major outage.
Are you sure you are not blocking the outbound message to DDNS server ?

What make you think that it is not working ?

From any windows command prompt try pinging the DDNS address ??????.asuscomm.com, it should return the external ip address of your router.