IP cameras that don't require Windows for playback/administration

Buttan Butt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi there!

I have a couple of Hikvision cameras and they all come with a Web GUI that require Windows or Mac to allow their web components to run. These are necessary for playback. (Live view can utilize VLC though)

I've decided to try a Dahua IPC-HDW4231EM-AS but I guess the situation is similar.

Are all of you guys really running Windows and Internet Explorer? I'm using Ubuntu and Firefox. That must be a very exotic combination in China I guess? Haven't we come further... it's 2017 already.

My question is if there are any IP cameras that don't require Windows or Mac for administration...(e.g. any browser on a non proprietary OS) Feeling a bit frustrated over this. Now I have bought a Windows License and running that in a VirtualBox just so I can see my recordings. There must be better solutions.

Screenshot from 2017-06-04 15-44-58.png

Last edited:

TiChucker

n3wb
Reaction score
Dahua is Mac friendly which is better than many others, you might try Chrome on Ubuntu as I believe their web app just needs a platform independent chrome plugin.

Xeddog

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have tried Chrome on Ubuntu with web app and it still does not work.

Wayne

Xeddog

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Correct. I get a login screen, but after entering userid/pwd, nothing happens at all. It's like the keyboard and mouse are disconnected at that point.

Wayne

P.S. I just tried re-installing it again and accessing the one camera I have on my LAN, a DaHua HFW1320S. After entering a userid/pwd and clicking on Login, there is a screen that is flashed which contains a lot of chinese symbols, and then I have a blank login screen again.

When trying to login to my LOREX LNR400, or my DaHua NVR5216-16P-4KS2, I don't even get that.

Last edited: