IP camera system bandwidth?? Myth or what?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Isn't it Bit-Rate? Isn't bit-rate dependent on the format of recording such as MPEG, H.264, and so forth? I just look at specs of certain cameras and it seems to suggest this. Also the recorders advertise total bandwidth they can handle.
bit rate is dependent on many factors including compression..thou every modern camera supports h.264...you can set a max bitrate on any camera.
Look, bandwidth is absolutely not an issue with ip cameras.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What are some of the better software packages that you would recommend and how much do they go for? Not very familiar with VMS. Also are there any hardware such as DVR cards out there for this as well? Looking into this since going PC based seems to offer more flexibility than Recorder non PC based system.
Other packages are not better just different. It depends on your needs. Look at milestone, exacq and avigilon. You are looking at 50 dollars PER camera min. 100 for some decent features like two way audio and recording to nas. Then you need to pay for any new versions in the future. Forget about dvr cards, those are for analog cameras which should never be used in 2015.

Bizzy

n3wb
Reaction score
bit rate is dependent on many factors including compression..thou every modern camera supports h.264...you can set a max bitrate on any camera.
Look, bandwidth is absolutely not an issue with ip cameras.
Okay. I got that about bandwidth. Compression is also part of the format right? Not to nitpick.

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sometime's the cheapest ends up being the most expensive. These guys will guide you to the right info and things you need for a good price.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Okay. I got that about bandwidth. Compression is also part of the format right? Not to nitpick.
Im not sure what you are saying...every modern ip camera supports h.264...were is the problem?

Bizzy

n3wb
Reaction score
Other packages are not better just different. It depends on your needs. Look at milestone, exacq and avigilon. You are looking at 50 dollars PER camera min. 100 for some decent features like two way audio and recording to nas. Then you need to pay for any new versions in the future. Forget about dvr cards, those are for analog cameras which should never be used in 2015.
Thanks. I'll look into them.

Bizzy

n3wb
Reaction score
Sometime's the cheapest ends up being the most expensive. These guys will guide you to the right info and things you need for a good price.
Not questioning them the wrong way. I've gotten good info from this forum. I can thank members of this forum.

Bizzy

n3wb
Reaction score
Im not sure what you are saying...every modern ip camera supports h.264...were is the problem?
Just trying to understand how bit-rate, video format and bandwidth how they all relate to each other.
That's all.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Just trying to understand how bit-rate, video format and bandwidth how they all relate to each other.
That's all.
bitrate is the bandwidth used...
you will only be using h.264...so it doesnt really matter...there are some variants of 264, and 265, but that is beside the point. Even with basic h.264 there is no bandwidth issue..