IP camera system bandwidth?? Myth or what?

Bizzy

n3wb
Reaction score
I've talked to an installer and he says the downside of IP system is the bandwidth and that he has had to knock down the resolution of the cameras to be installed from 3MP to 1MP because of it.
Is this bandwidth thing just nonsense or what? Some people say it is that you have people who don't fully understand IP camera systems.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I've talked to an installer and he says the downside of IP system is the bandwidth and that he has had to knock down the resolution of the cameras to be installed from 3MP to 1MP because of it.
Is this bandwidth thing just nonsense or what? Some people say it is that you have people who don't fully understand IP camera systems.
Run, dont walk, away from this installer.

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Then the man's a fool and doesn't understand about bandwidth or the equipment he is installing.

As above finder a real security professional..

Bizzy

n3wb
Reaction score
Unfortunately based on what I've seen and read online, it seems this is pretty common.

JimandYen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What is the bandwidth..? The incoming Mbps that the NVR can handle...?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
What is the bandwidth..? The incoming Mbps that the NVR can handle...?
That might be what was being referred to, since most NVRs have a published limit of incoming Mbps and it is often lower than you would like on cheaper or older models. But only a really terrible NVR would have such a low limit that it would warrant reducing the camera resolutions. It seems more likely that the installer simply had a deep misunderstanding of how the technology works, or maybe he installs wireless cameras. Both equally bad things for a professional.

Bizzy

n3wb
Reaction score
That might be what was being referred to, since most NVRs have a published limit of incoming Mbps and it is often lower than you would like on cheaper or older models. But only a really terrible NVR would have such a low limit that it would warrant reducing the camera resolutions. It seems more likely that the installer simply had a deep misunderstanding of how the technology works, or maybe he installs wireless cameras. Both equally bad things for a professional.
Or perhaps he was always cheap so that's the way he understands it. I asked him about brand that he was going to be using and he gave a vague answer about "chinese made" stuff.

By cheapo or crappy recorder how cheap are we talking about? Recorders that I've seen that accommodate 10+ cameras as base models tend to be 600-700 before adding the harddrives..

Last edited by a moderator:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I mean like $50 4-channel NVRs and such might have a bit rate limit that is too low. I think you can probably get a quality 16 channel NVR for less than $600, though I don't use NVRs so I can't recommend one. You can certainly get a PC and Blue Iris license capable of running 10+ cameras for less than that.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've talked to an installer and he says the downside of IP system is the bandwidth and that he has had to knock down the resolution of the cameras to be installed from 3MP to 1MP because of it...
NoBS.jpg

Bizzy

n3wb
Reaction score
Blue Iris? Use a PC as a video recorder? Wouldn't I have to buy something else to hook up the cameras to the PCs? Isn't Windows less secure than say Linux based recorders?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Blue Iris? Use a PC as a video recorder? Wouldn't I have to buy something else to hook up the cameras to the PCs? Isn't Windows less secure than say Linux based recorders?
You dont need anything other than a poe switch to connect the cameras to. Linux based recorders are no more secure than windows...their vulnerabilities are often patched late or never patched. If you are worried, just use a vpn with either. Windows is exceptionally secure, the problem is folks install and download crap. A pc NVR should be just that, used as an NVR only.

Bizzy

n3wb
Reaction score
I have an old beat up PC that's 5-10 years old. Not sure if that would cut it. If I go that route, I most likely will have to get a new PC.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have an old beat up PC that's 5-10 years old. Not sure if that would cut it. If I go that route, I most likely will have to get a new PC.
no it wont. Why would you even want to use an old pc for something important like an NVR...
A modern, quality haswell i5 can be had for 300 dollars from the dell outlet when on sale...an i7 haswell for 500.

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Again don't be a tight arse with your NVR or PC setup. It's the most important part of the system without it you have no systems.

Bizzy

n3wb
Reaction score
no it wont. Why would you even want to use an old pc for something important like an NVR...
A modern, quality haswell i5 can be had for 300 dollars from the dell outlet when on sale...an i7 haswell for 500.
That's what I mean, it is so old it may not handle this.

If I were to go this route what specs would you recommend. What are software packages would you recommend aside from Blue Iris? Also what about Apple desktops?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That's what I mean, it is so old it may not handle this.

If I were to go this route what specs would you recommend. What are software packages would you recommend aside from Blue Iris? Also what about Apple desktops?
Forget apple. Waste of money.
What is your budget for the software?

Fruit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
NVR Bandwidth use is mainly determine by 3 things: Resolution/FPS/Quality of picture

If you have a low bandwidth machine but want to use 3 MP cameras, you can lower the FPS (i'm guessing most people won't lower resolution or quality of picture...or else they wouldn't have bought a 3 MP camera).

Bizzy

n3wb
Reaction score
Forget apple. Waste of money.
What is your budget for the software?
What are some of the better software packages that you would recommend and how much do they go for? Not very familiar with VMS. Also are there any hardware such as DVR cards out there for this as well? Looking into this since going PC based seems to offer more flexibility than Recorder non PC based system.

Bizzy

n3wb
Reaction score
NVR Bandwidth use is mainly determine by 3 things: Resolution/FPS/Quality of picture

If you have a low bandwidth machine but want to use 3 MP cameras, you can lower the FPS (i'm guessing most people won't lower resolution or quality of picture...or else they wouldn't have bought a 3 MP camera).
Isn't it Bit-Rate? Isn't bit-rate dependent on the format of recording such as MPEG, H.264, and so forth? I just look at specs of certain cameras and it seems to suggest this. Also the recorders advertise total bandwidth they can handle.