IP Camera Recommendation for UK

Reaction score
Hi,
Apologies that this may be a very 'general' question but just looking for some pointers for a new IP camera to cover the front of my house.

I've got a Hikvision Bullet IP camera mounted on 1st floor eaves which is a few years old and its pretty hopeless. It''s triggered at the slightest thing and yet can miss a car coming onto my drive. The area masking never worked either so cars going past in the road often trigger it. I've used info on this site to fine tune it but its never worked.

I know this is a general issue with IR but it attracts spiders and their web causes the camera to fire constantly at night. I've had to pay for more email storage as a result of this but it's not much use because there's too many emails to wade through.

I've seen from other cameras that they can recognise humans, vehicles etc and this seems like a massive step forward to reduce these kind of issues.

PTZ cameras are much cheaper now. I like the idea of these but area the camera can 'see' isn't massive so wonder if the extra flexibility is worth the risk of having moving parts outside which could wear out relatively quickly.

I like the sound of cameras that use a light instead of IR as that would get rid of the spider issue. I have power and LAN and would prefer a camera that can use a direct LAN connection.

So any recommendations for a relatively low cost IP camera in the UK to address these kind of issues?

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Which camera model?

Even the cameras with built in white LED attract bugs and the same thing happens.

Better to add external infrared or have enough white light that you don't need the built in infrared or white LED.