IP Camera IP sporadically changes

Gus_19

n3wb
Reaction score
Trying to help out a friend. Everything has worked fine for the last year, until about a month ago. His current setup is:

(2) Dahua IPC-HDW4431C-A 4mp IP cameras
(1) Dahua 8ch 2014 NVR

Both were purchased on Amazon, so I'm not sure if he received the US or Chinese firmware

He asked me to come by because the cameras abruptly stopped working. I thought it was odd seeing a screen with one camera saying invalid username/password but showing a private IP like 10.1.1.71 as I originally helped setup the cameras with a 192 prefix. II verified both cameras have power by manually activating the IR cut filter. After a little troubleshooting, I brought both cameras home and ended up resetting them using the jumper wire method. With a default IP and password, I started with one camera, logging in via a web browser on my own network and reassigning an IP address like 192.168.1.224. I then unplugged the camera from my network and plugged it in to the NVR. While doing a 'device search' no cameras would be displayed. I tried manually adding the camera, but as soon as I click save, the NVR shows the basic black screen with IP address and saying invalid username and password (at this point it still shows the IP 10.1.1.71 or something close to that).

Having hard reset and being able to connect to my own network, while configuring it and such, I can't figure out why is NVR keeps changing the IP address of the camera? Any thoughts?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
IF the NVR has POE rj45 plugs in the back and the cameras are plugged into those plugs. The IP address of the cameras will more than likely start with 10. The cameras are on a completely different subnet then your local network.

It recommend that you do a hard reset on the cameras and plug them into the NVR, with out configuring them on the local network. Then configure them from the NVR.

Gus_19

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks SY for the response. That did the trick. Unfortunately, my friend's 2and camera has power as indicated by Ir filter, but neither his NVR nor my network can find the camera and I'm guessing its just bricked.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Test the camera with a premade, store purchased cable. After you do a hard reset om the camera. Also test it in a different port on the NVR

Gus_19

n3wb
Reaction score
Test the camera with a premade, store purchased cable. After you do a hard reset om the camera. Also test it in a different port on the NVR
Yup, actually tried those steps as well as different (known to be good) cables. Neither mine, nor his NVR detects the camera