IP Camera and NVR setup advice please !

Reaction score
Hi

I've been reading this forum for a while now but can't work out the best way to setup my equipment. At the moment I've got one Hikvision camera with another on order. I will increase this to a total of 4 over time. I have a Hikvision 7604 NVR in the box still.

Currently my setup is: Main Sky router is in the front room. Cat6 from router going outside the house and up the side of the house into the loft. Then to the back of the house where it goes through the house wall, along a wall and into the garage. This then goes into a Netgear GS308P switch. From the switch 1 POE to ipCam (inside the garage), 1 non-poe to computer, 1 non-poe to wireless A/P.

My final setup will include a camera on the back the house looking over the garden, a camera on the front the garage looking down the drive, and a camera on the front of the house.

I have read the best and easiest way to hook cameras up is to just have them on the LAN and connect the NVR to the LAN. This allows the cameras to be viewed from outside the house, and allows apps on phones such as Ezviz. Is this true?

So with that in mind, should I put the GS308P switch in the loft. Cut the cat6 from front of house that runs through loft and plug into non-poe port of switch. Continue to the garage with the other half of the cut CAT6 cable from switch non-poe into AC point and from here into computer. Then run 4 new cables for the ipcams from the POE switch. And finally connect non-poe switch to NVR that is also in loft? (using 7 of the 8 ports from switch)

Thanks for any advice.

Darren

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

The cat6 cable is from router to garage. I was going to put the cameras and garage internet on this one port from router by cutting the cable and inserting switch in the loft.

Are you saying as per the configuration I suggested in original post but use the 4 NVR ports for the cameras instead of the 4 poe ports on the switch?

Have I got virtual host? 7604-NI--E1/4P/A.

Thanks

pghcamman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
run all cameras back to poe switch. then run poe switch back to nvr and router to nvr. have poe and nvr in loft. that way if anyone breaks in the chances of them going to loft to rip out equipment is minimal. also I imagine easier to hide wire in loft. you can find virtual host on web browser under configuration>network>advanced settings.

pghcamman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I always like the NVR to be connected directly to LAN. plus mine is closer to the router than my switch.

Reaction score
Ah ok. I'll just connect nvr to switch as they will be sat next to each other in the loft. And connecting both switch and nvr to router will require another cable running up the outside of the house.

Reaction score
I've been thinking about my setup and have come to the conclusion that it would be easier to leave the POE switch in the garage which is connected to the wifi access point, the computer, and two cameras. Then connect the other two cameras (front and back of house) direct to the NVR in the loft and turn on virtual host. This will save me running an additional 2 network cables (3 total) from the loft into the garage (computer & a/c point, plus 2 cameras).

So in summary 2 cameras on switch. 2 direct to nvr. Will this cause any problems with viewing/configuring cameras from external ip?

Thanks

Reaction score
Thanks pghcamman

Just a thought but will i need another non-poe in the loft. Cable from router into non-peo switch. Then one cable from this switch into LAN of NVR, and the existing cable to garage from this switch also. Or can i connect garage switch from poe port of NVR saving me using a non gb switch in the loft?

pghcamman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
okay this is what you want. you already have router running to loft. place the nvr and switch in loft. plug router into lan of nvr. run cat6 from one of ports from nvr to a port on switch. it does not matter if the port you plug into on the switch is poe or not you are just transferring data. run the 4 cameras back to 4 of the poe ports on switch. you should be good to go and be able to remote access using app after you configure it.