ip camera and nvr making me go grey alot faster than age!

Reaction score
hi people, im new to the site as i have just started on the ip cctv and nvr scene. i have been installing cctv for a couple of years now but thought i would try my hand at the new gear!
i have in my hand my first ip camera and nvr setup, there was me thinking you just plug it all together and away you go! (just like the older dvr stuff)
i have now realised thinking that was wrong, i have done all i have been instructed to do by instruction manuals and internet but so far i have not had any luck with it.
scenario is i have a hikvision 3mp dome camera poe compatible, and also have a 500gb nvr with poe. i have plugged it in, camera lights up as it should, power led and network leds are on inside the dome but the search from the nvr brings up no results at all. i have even manually input the cameras ip address and tried to add it that way, still with no luck. i have ran out of ideas totally and not sure what to do now???

any help would be appreciated :)

dave

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Lets start with the model number of the cameras and NVR. Is the NVR a hikvision as well?

Reaction score
No it isn't, it's a in branded nvr. The camera is a hikvision ds2cd2132 I could put a link on here for the nvr if that would be any good?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok..couple of things first...
Ip cameras can be plug and play, but you will need to match the NVR to the cameras. It is best practice to match camera to NVR's..unless you can confirm that it works 100%.... often motion detection will not work properly if the brands don’t match…
Onvif is a standard that is supposed to allow cameras and NVR’s to communicate regardless of manuafactger but it has a lot of issues, and the NVR doesn’t even say its onvif compliant.
Even of you could get the NVR to work you will not be able to record in 3mp only 2mp as the NVR has a limit of 1080p…This may be fine as I run my hikvisions at 2mp anyway.
My suggestion to you is to return that unit and get a hikvision NVR.
If you want to try and get it to work, first you need to change the ip addresses on the cameras. By default they arrive with 192.0.0.64, your router will not be able to see this…
Download the sadp tool from hikvision http://www.hikvision.com/en/us/download_more.asp?id=1120
You will need to change the cameras ip address to something within your routers range
Do you know your routers ip address?
Do you know the ip address of the NVR?

Reaction score
This is getting very technical now ha ha. The nvr has a onvif setting on it and it's on there as a default. You can change that setting but I haven't as I have no idea what it ment until now. The nvr isn't connected to my router at the moment, I thought I would get it up and running stand alone (if that is possible?) And then soon as that is done put it on the router so I can view the cctv away from home. I have got the ip address of the nvr on the screen as we speak. I'm thinking go with your first suggestion. Send this unit back and go with the hikvision nvr :)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
ok so if you use sadp(password is 12345) and change the ip address of the camera to 192.168.1.150 then attached the camera to the nvr and it should work...make sure the cameras is set to 2mp not 3.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
As an aside, if you buy more hikvsions, consider the 2332 turret instead of the 2132. The 2132 is 2 axis and cannot be wall mounted (without a special mount) and also may suffer ir refection...the turret has better ir as well.

Reaction score
Ok nice one for that, it's all about the learning curve with this setup as it's the first one. I did wonder about the ir reflection but it seems to have a black rubber that comes down onto the dome when closed so I had a feeling that would eliminate that problem. Yet again I'm wrong :-/

Reaction score
Sounds like the thing then! I will be sure to install it so that this don't happen :)
Right then, I can view the camera on my laptop now, I have changed the camera from 1080p down to 720p
I can't find a setting to change the mp on the camera :-/

Reaction score
Camera is set to 1920 x 1080 and the nvr is now finding the camera due to changing the ip address to what you recommended. But it's still not displaying a picture :-/
Thought the mystery was solved when I saw it appear on the search screen to lol

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
did you enter the proper credentials for the camera into the nvr? user name and password?

Reaction score
Sorry fenderman my app didn't let me know you had replied. After sitting looking at the screen I had noticed I didn't input the username or password for the camera. Bit thick I know but I put it down to being my first if I can get away with that ha ha. Anyway put the username and password in and hey presto it was on the screen! I'm very satisfied with the outcome, picture is so clear compared to the analog cctv I'm used to fitting.
Just glad it works perfect, I would never of done that on my own, it would of ended up going through the window. Thank you fenderman for your help ! I would be still looking at a blank screen now

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
No, problem..make sure you confirm that the NVR records properly and works well before the return period is up.