IP CAM, wifi ranges, possible workarounds.

Bowman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi folks,
I have a particular problem.
I use a mini router device modem for my wifi network.
Its not perfect. But it has worked ok for 2 years until recently.

I have several IP CAMS, budget types.
Anyway, my neighbour has cams too.
I used to have signal in the outer garden, not great, but workable.
Now even a plugged in wifi extender blinks in the garage down there, no signal.

I have a repeater setup, pointed towards our local antenna. Signal is strong in the house. 85dbm over 36us.
It didn't change when checking sim status down there, so why are my cams not working, showing offline?

We don't have fibre out here, just pumped wireless.

Is there anything I can do to improve things please?

Thank you

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
The cameras are spamming your wifi / network... so you have a bad time on all wifi devices :(

that is one of the reasons to not use any wifi if you have cameras or even streaming devices ... there are some accesspoints/routers who can handle streaming devices better, but it depends also on the device itself.

the internet is full of wifi problems. so smart people avoid it at any costs and only use it for known "good" devices aka smartphones and laptops

even if the cameras are hard wired, there are cheap cameras out there which spam your network and you will have a bad time on any device no matter if its wifi or hardwired.. this could be only avoided with better cameras or maybe a seperate lan

Last edited:

Bowman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you. They used to work quite well before my neighbour put up his. Since then its been either erratic or dead. He's on a different provider.
No chance of lined net here ever. If they can't get water here.....

So bottom line. Concentrate on my CCTV.QPity, caught a lot of bad stuff on them before.
Many thanks.

The cameras are spamming your wifi / network... so you have a bad time on all wifi devices :(

that is one of the reasons to not use any wifi if you have cameras or even streaming devices ... there are some accesspoints/routers who can handle streaming devices better, but it depends also on the device itself.

the internet is full of wifi problems. so smart people avoid it at any costs and only use it for known "good" devices aka smartphones and laptops

even if the cameras are hard wired, there are cheap cameras out there which spam your network and you will have a bad time on any device no matter if its wifi or hardwired.. this could be only avoided with better cameras or maybe a seperate lan

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
I maybe misunderstood..

If you see this problem after your neighboor set up his WIFI cameras, you can try to change the channel in your wifi access points. there are models who show you the devices on each channel.. so you choose one empty channel. sadly most wifi cameras or iot devices are only able to use 2.4ghz wifi and its not only quite full, it can be interrupted with any device which uses 2,4ghz.. like dect phones

but it could be just a big coincidence and it have nothing to do with neighboors wifi cameras

Bowman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you
I don't believe in coincidences

I will check, but I do not remember seeing any setting on my cams like that.
Very odd though. I have 1 cam on a tree, not 15 meters from the problem, that works fine. Anything connected level with his place is dead.
Same family put up a hunting camera to watch us lol!
Anyway, will look. Thanks for your advice.

I maybe misunderstood..

If you see this problem after your neighboor set up his WIFI cameras, you can try to change the channel in your wifi access points. there are models who show you the devices on each channel.. so you choose one empty channel. sadly most wifi cameras or iot devices are only able to use 2.4ghz wifi and its not only quite full, it can be interrupted with any device which uses 2,4ghz.. like dect phones

but it could be just a big coincidence and it have nothing to do with neighboors wifi cameras

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't believe in coincidences
i believe that coincidences rise from unknown variables. so its just another term for not have all informations to give a solution ;)

it could also be possible that you connect your cameras to the internet via port forwarding , because you want to see your home from far away... and they are now controlled by another person and maybe part of a botnet ... so they might flood a server now and you have a bad time with your wifi... you only see your neighboor and connect the problems together...

Bowman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Goodness. Not enough variables for me lol!

French? I have a fab French tutor for projects I am working on.
He doesn't chide a student for not knowing everything, just encourages me. He knows that there is no such thing as a stupid question, that the students question is only as gooda as the Teachers knowledge.

Anyway. No I don't believe in coincidences.
So here's what I think.
The signal dies off rapidly at one point. There is a test cam 4 meters away, it works, not botnet. Probably shared bandwidth is a factor here. I.e, near his network, only one tower.

What I was looking for was a way to amplify the signal down there. This did not work from the garage outlet, no signal. The test cam that works, is just 1 meter higher, but outside the garage.
Just a small problem.

Thank you.

i believe that coincidences rise from unknown variables. so its just another term for not have all informations to give a solution ;)

it could also be possible that you connect your cameras to the internet via port forwarding , because you want to see your home from far away... and they are now controlled by another person and maybe part of a botnet ... so they might flood a server now and you have a bad time with your wifi... you only see your neighboor and connect the problems together...
Good

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I use a mini router device modem for my wifi network.
I have used several TP-LINK TL-WR702N and TL-WR802N nano routers over the past few years in client mode to provide wireless operation to devices that had only an Ethernet port (laser printers, XBox 360's, TV's, IP cameras. etc.) but they were in an environment where the wireless LAN (WLAN) had a high signal to noise ratio and little interference from other WLAN's or wireless AP's. They are terrific devices when used in that way, at least that's been my experience.

However, they don't transmit much output power and don't have high receiver sensitivity when compared to typical wireless AP's which is likely what you're competing with. If using another channel as suggested by @user8963 doesn't help, I would consider using a higher-powered indoor AP like a Ubiquiti UniFi (or similar as available in your country). If possible, dedicate it to be used ONLY by your wireless cams and let other devices in the household use a different wireless AP or router that is on a different channel or freq.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
I would like to add some clarity so others who stumble upon the same problem understand what each hardware does vs doesn’t.

A WiFi router provides wireless connectivity over the air and the most common supported frequency is 2.4 / 5.X. Neither takes into account the different type of transmission from A, B, N, G, AC, AH, AX, HI, HA, etc. Some of the types I’ve included are not used in consumer WiFi devices simply to illustrate there are many.

Repeater: A repeater literally takes a signal and repeats the same. So if the repeater has a weak signal it will simply relay the same. It does not regenerate or boost the signal at all. So placement, distance, and orientation is important if to work successfully.

Mesh: This device is literally a self contained WiFi device connected to a router. There are presently three types but will focus on what most consumers see or know about them.

The concept is to take a signal and boost and regenerate the same individually. If multiple units are spread evenly throughout a property the signal can be 100% everywhere and they are connected - chained together.

This assumes building structure & materials aren’t blocking the same signal so when comparing a repeater vs mesh the latter will always perform better given the same installation and environment.

The problem with lots of these devices is the lack of proper hand off. Meaning if your phone is connected to number 1 but you’re standing next to number 2. A less than smart mesh system will hang on to your device until it drops off or you force a new connection!

More expensive mesh systems have logic and user settings to define what threshold is allowed before a hand off so a person can Roam seamlessly throughout the property and never see slow WiFi.

Access Point (AP): These devices are normally connected directly to a POE Switch which is then connected to the router. These are literally a Wi-Fi hot spots and if meshed together with like devices provide incredible range and consistent connectivity.

Hybrid: The market has lots of hybrid devices which use PLE (Power Line Ethernet) which connect using the 120 AC wiring. Many offer WiFi and ports to allow both wireless and physical hardline. Some use the RF antenna to provide Dual Band communications so has fault tolerance to use power line vs RF vs both.

As it pertains to channels almost every Wi-Fi device allows a sub channel to be selected in the 2.4 / 5.0 frequency band. You can play with this and simply stand wherever to see how many bars are seen on a cell phone. Keep in mind changing channels doesn’t stop interference from other more powerful signals.

Many routers, access points, repeaters, offer the ability to increase each frequency power output limited by the FCC.

So you should try all of the old school methods if you’re committed to using the current hardware in place.

Height: Is your friend so mount everything’s high as possible.

Distance: Move everything to the exterior.

Windows: All WiFi devices should be close to a window or multiple windows.

Direction: If your device has antennas play with their orientation.

Pie Plate: Take any aluminum pie plate and place it behind the antenna. This will make the signal very directional. Going this route on some or all might make all the difference in a fringe area.

Good Luck

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
One more thing you can do is to install a WiFi sniffer style app on your phone. That will show you, graphically, what the WiFi bands, 2.4 and 5.x, look like in terms of channel use and signal strengths on each channel. Go to the camera you're having a problem with, power the camera off, and look at what WiFi signals are there and their signal strengths. That way you can make informed choices regarding what channel to use.

Last edited:

Bowman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi folks, thank you very much for the informative answers.
I tried the @user thing, but it did not work for me, apologies for ignorances shown.

I will write down suggestions, see what I can do.
I didn't think about the foil behind the antenna, also did not know, a signal, is just a signal, thank you.

I asked my provider, (vodafone). If I could drop the sim into a phone, use the phone as modem. I know this worked better when strength of signal was near 105dbm.

Questions:
1. If I manage to get a signal where I need it using the repeater, won't I in fact be helping my neighbour too, thus nullifying any improvement?

2. I have tried to keep line of sight between each ip cam. Is this correct?

Thanking you again, stay safe, well.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The repeater should be configured with the SSID of your wifi network. So it will not repeater anyone else signal.

In your router you should select the wifi channel that you will use for 2.4 GHZ. The recommend channels are 1,6,11. There is channel overlap to do not use other channels. I do Not know the special wifi rules for Romania, if there are any .

On a wifi enabled device like a Cell phone of a Tablet run an APP like "wifi analyzer" To see what channels are being used, and what there signal strength is, this will help you pick the best channel for wifi. The WIFI channel and the SSID is set in your router.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi folks, thank you very much for the informative answers.
I tried the @user thing, but it did not work for me, apologies for ignorances shown.

I will write down suggestions, see what I can do.
I didn't think about the foil behind the antenna, also did not know, a signal, is just a signal, thank you.

I asked my provider, (vodafone). If I could drop the sim into a phone, use the phone as modem. I know this worked better when strength of signal was near 105dbm.

Questions:
1. If I manage to get a signal where I need it using the repeater, won't I in fact be helping my neighbour too, thus nullifying any improvement?

2. I have tried to keep line of sight between each ip cam. Is this correct?

Thanking you again, stay safe, well.
Yes (LOS) Line Of Sight is always important the less barriers the better. Walls are concrete you’re going to have RF problems. You live in a really old house that use plaster lathe?!?

You’re going to have problems.

Main wifi router is in the basement and you’re outside?!?

You’re going to have problems.

As noted up top if you can raise the router / repeater higher and closer to a window(s) LOS. That will help range but again does not address interference from other signals. Called out by others here play with the channels and use any of the smart applications to determine signal strength.

Remember the key metric is standing somewhere and watching a YouTube video. And not trying to load a web page. Once you’re able to freely watch a video on your phone go to that camera and confirm the same is true.

The pie plate (or similar) can also be placed behind the camera to be more directional. If the camera has antennas move one at a time vs both as you might find out the opposing antenna is now able to capture a weak signal.

Again placement and height is your friend. Remounting a camera 2 more inches higher or to the left can make all the difference.

Good Luck

Bowman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you.
Hmmmmm, a very long hmmmmm.

Ok, my repeater has never registered a mac address, no name, nothing.
I know it works from the days of no antenna. Dual band is all I know.
Shows 2 bars when signal is there, this is all I know.
There are no external config ports, usb ect.

It was suggested to me when there was nothing here. Alibaba.

Many thanks.

The repeater should be configured with the SSID of your wifi network. So it will not repeater anyone else signal.

In your router you should select the wifi channel that you will use for 2.4 GHZ. The recommend channels are 1,6,11. There is channel overlap to do not use other channels. I do Not know the special wifi rules for Romania, if there are any .

On a wifi enabled device like a Cell phone of a Tablet run an APP like "wifi analyzer" To see what channels are being used, and what there signal strength is, this will help you pick the best channel for wifi. The WIFI channel and the SSID is set in your router.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
what is the make and model number on the repeater. What is the Make and model of your router.
When talking two bars, that is a cell phone signal strength, not for WIFI.
Did you check the WIFI signal with the APP as recommend above?

Bowman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Firstly, thank you for taking the time.....

There's yet again a nasty storm heading this way, 2 hours out from what I can tell.

I'll reply with the stuff asked for later, thanking you again.

Bowman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi peeps,

I can't give any info at the moment. It's hot, the valleys are full of summer people with cells, computers, heck anything that connects!
Hence bandwidth flows in and out. I can barely see playback, even at home!

When fingers get cold, they tend to drift back to Cities.
Perhaps I can do this then.

Thank you for your help.
B