IP Cam to replace DropCam

TechDiver

n3wb
Reaction score
I bought a Dropcam in November on clearance for $50. It updated to the new Nest firmware and all, but I was just using it to see if my wife would be interested in a camera system. She is hooked on it now and loves to check in on the kids. It has a 130 degree view which covers all entrances to the house in the current location. I figured a high resolution permanent camera would work for surveillance and for me and the wife to check in on kids and dogs. I can get by with a little more narrowed camera view. Do you guys have any suggestions since this is in your area of expertise?

Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I bought a Dropcam in November on clearance for $50. It updated to the new Nest firmware and all, but I was just using it to see if my wife would be interested in a camera system. She is hooked on it now and loves to check in on the kids. It has a 130 degree view which covers all entrances to the house in the current location. I figured a high resolution permanent camera would work for surveillance and for me and the wife to check in on kids and dogs. I can get by with a little more narrowed camera view. Do you guys have any suggestions since this is in your area of expertise?

Thanks
Welcome to the forum. Keep in mind that nestcam uses the diagonal FOV which makes it appear larger. Look at a hikvision 2mp/3mp cube camera with a 2.8mm lens.

LittleBrother

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I also moved from multiple dropcams 18 months ago to some hikvisions. No monthly cost, superior resolution, work outdoors. As mentioned 2.8 mm is wide and will give about 90 degrees. Even if you have the newest "nest cam", a hikvision 3 MP will smoke the heck out of it for image quality. But I can't lie: it's a huge pain to setup compared to the 3 minutes it takes with the dropcam.

TechDiver

n3wb
Reaction score
I plan to box up the Dropcam and sell it. I may be able to get my $50 back out of it.

I do have a spot on a shelf for the cube if that would work out best. Would you go with the DS-2CD2432F-IW 3MP or one of the dome cameras mounted to the ceiling? I have low 8 ft ceilings. [h=2][/h]

TechDiver

n3wb
Reaction score
After looking over the cube, I think I may go with that. I see it can be mounted as well if I decide to do that. I am interested in the 2 way feature of this one. It also looks like the PIR is something not found in many other cameras. Thanks for the information.