IP Cam plan review. Feedback appreciated.

Autonomous

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to place my order for everything I need to setup a IP camera system. I was hoping to get some feedback in case there is any glaring issues.

I was going to start with a single "IPC-T3241T-ZAS 2MP Lite AI IR Vari-Focal" camera and add one a month until I have good coverage. I expect to end with 8-12 cameras.

I was planing to use a "TP-Link 16 Port Gigabit PoE Switch | 8 PoE Port+ @110W" switch. I figure I can use the non POE ports for uplink and to place smaller POE switches farther out when the time comes.

And last for Blue Iris I have a $25 garage sale special monster work station with, "Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz Memory: 32GB RAM".

Any feedback on the equipment I'm looking at or my plan in general?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I use a intel i7-4790 cpu wit h 16 GB memory. I run 14 cameras at 730 MP/Sec. Most of the cameras are 2 MP. I use h.264 compression, as this is what the intel graphic processor supports.

You have a good plan start slow.
Do a Windows 10 clean install "microsoft media creation tool"

Get at least a 120 GB SSD for windows 10 and BIsoftware. Get at least a 4TB WD purple drive for video storage.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have not used that particular cam so really can't give feedback on that. But using a varifocal to test out your plan is the best plan to go with. Using a test rig (as described in the Cliff Notes), use that cam to test your ideas for cam placement in other areas. Walk it in day and night.
Here is my test Rig in action:
DSC_4614.JPG

If your area is low light and you are hoping for color at night, you might want to consider the T5442T-ZE 4MP varifocal (2.7-12mm) on a 1/1.8" sensor. It is really the current best Dahua low-light color performing cam in the prosumer line.

While I do not have that particular POE switch, I have a similar one form Netgear- 8 POE ports and 8 non-POE ports. I have three other POE switches feeding into that switch like you are planning. It works just fine that way.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I just bought two 3241T-ZAS during the Black Friday event. I'm very satisfied with them and from what I can see they actually outperform the venerable 5231. Not as good as a 5442, but in the middle between the 5231 and 5442. Bang for your bucks is right up there.

Last edited:

Autonomous

n3wb
Reaction score
I just bought two 3241T-ZAS during the Black Friday event. I'm very satisfied with them and from what I can see they actually outperform the venerable 5231. Not as good as a 5442, but in the middle between the 5231 and 5442. Bang for your bucks is right up there.
Thanks. I want to get good coverage up and a AI Watchdog for the driveway/side yard ASAP. I'm a little freaked out about my car being broke into in the driveway and a half assed attempt to enter the attached garage.

Are the 4MP models decent with IR? Everything in the newb/FAQ Stickies says "2mp Starlight cameras for life"

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The 4MP, 5442, series work well with IR. I have two 5442s, one is a fixed focal length turret and the other is a varifocal bullet. The turret is in a location with enough ambient light to maintain color 24/7. The bullet is in an area with hardly any ambient light and IR is needed at night. I do have a large, 30 watt, auxiliary IR flood back there to help all the cameras in the back yard, but the 5442 bullet does an excellent job.