IP based IR break beam sensors?

ipnoob

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Are there any IR break beam sensors that can integrate into a network? I know I can probably hook regular ones up to an alarm input on a camera, but I was hoping someone might make something more plug and play, maybe even poe, but I can't find anything. Same question for pir motion sensors.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Wow, sounds like an egg laying dairy pig, lol. You want fries with that? And maybe WiFi?

Snarky aside (you do have thick skin, right?), consider:

Beam break sensors and PIR sensors typically have relay contacts as outputs. If you wanna replace a relay with something powerful enough to have handle ip communications (the communications protocol stack, assorted protocols, configurability, security, etc), then the device would be expensive.

Short answer: No, I've never heard of such a device. Maybe others have, tho...
IR break beam sensors that can integrate into a network?
Maybe check "Home Automation".
Or look for a rasberry pi solution.

I was hoping someone might make something more plug and play, maybe even poe,
I've used POE to power some of my sensors using a poe power splitter. One cable (I use Cat 5) that carries the relay closure back to the NVR, or to the cam's "external alarm input".

My sensors are "integrated into my network", thanks to the cams and NVR. Secondly, the NVR and cams provide "alarm output", to energize strobes, sirens, or buzzers. So things are "integrated"...

The DIY community may have a hack or raspberry solution, if you can fabricate the pieces and do some coding...

Regards,
Fastb

ipnoob

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yea I was thinking about just using cat 5 with breakouts for the poe and closures, but I don't think the poe will activate with a breakout?

I also haven't figured out how to have a camera alarm input activate a DVR alarm output.